Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which book to choose for Zone System?

Which book to choose for Zone System?

Yep... I've just made 'the switch'... to film that is!

I'm the proud owner of a used cambo 4x5 monorail after 3 years of exclusive digital use. The reason for getting back into film is because although I only did basic processing and printing I REALLY miss working in the darkroom. As they say "the alternative isn't much easier and it's nowhere near as fun". I also miss the beauty of a contact print, and am planning on contact printing exclusively at this stage.

At the moment I'm looking for a book that explains the Zone system both at the visualisation/metering/exposure and most importantly at the processing end of things.

I'm currently looking at either "The Negative" (Adams) or "The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography - Book 1" (Schaefer) - two very obvious choices.

Is one of these the book to get or is there something better (or even something online)?. I'm after something that is up to date in terms of B&W consumables are still available.

I am looking at using ilford film and developer using the dip and dunk method.

Thanks for any advice...

Ben

Re: Which book to choose for Zone System?

You may find these sites of interest. I researched the zone system about a year ago, found a bunch of links, then never went any further, relying on previous years of hands-on 'pot luck' use of 35mm/medium format.

http://www.srphotography.co.uk/srpzone.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/zone.htm

Hopefully those two will help give you a vague idea of what to do with the zone system. The best way to find out how to implement it is to go take some photo's

How bout something easier, but as useful (maybe more so...)? Get a Film Test Kit from www.circleofthesunproductions.com. Half a day's testing, most of that waiting for negatives to dry enough, and you will have calibrated your materials and have a way of exposing and developing that is virtually foolproof.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I suggest all three of Adam's books. The Camera, The Negative and The Print. The principles are what you're looking for so don't be concerned about current or modern materials. Film, paper and chemistry works the same now as it did 20 years ago.

Bruce's ND kit looks like a really good idea for simplified testing.

But I'd want to know more about the whole process so I say study the books closely and buy Bruce's kit. There is nothing wrong with making it easy but down the road you will benefit more from deeper understanding than that you made an easy test.

Find a copy of Fred Picker's book on Ebay. The Zone VI Manual. It was the introductory text for many of us back in the 70's who had a tough time with the Saint's books. I still buy it for students who are interested and it never fails.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I like Adams' _The Negative_.

I would second the recommendation for the Picker book. It de-mystified the zone system for many of us. Schaefer's books are also quite good.

There is an article in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site on determining your personal EI and developing time. It is an abbreviated version of the Picker book

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

Picker's book is "The Zone VI Workshop." I highly recommend it, too, for someone starting out. It will help you understand what you're doing while you make the tests with Bruce's kit. Then read the three Adams books.
    juan

Either Adams' book "The Negative" or the Picker book will work fine. I prefer Adams' book because I think his illustrations are better but both are good. Just don'tt get caught up in anything very complex, the zone system as created by Archer and Adams is simplicity itself, nothing the least bit complicated about it. Some later followers apparently didn't think anything so simple could be very good and so it's sometimes made more complex than it needs to be. IMHO anyone who can't explain the basic idea in about a page or less to someone who already understands how f stops and shutter speeds affect negative densities is making it too complicated. Then once you understand the system you can do your testing and that's an area where there are several different approaches. I used to do my own testing but the last couple times I've had it done for me by The View Camera Store (www.theviewcamerastore.com). They charge about $30 but will provide you more information than you likely can gain on your own and the cost isn't bad when you consider the amount of film you'd otherwise go through in making your own tests.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

My favourite is Minor White's Zone System Manual. It's concise, and it includes the determination of subject brightness range from incident measurements as well as from reflective measurements.

Best,
    Helen