Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for the mods and software guru's

Question for the mods and software guru's

Would it be possible to incorporate a feature that allows a poster to block another member from posting in "their" threads. You get these guys whose only purpose in life is to be a fly in the ointment. My thinking is that the original poster should be able to have that small control over "their" posts. Sort of like being able to block a bidder on Ebay that you know is just a notorious trouble maker. For my part I'd be pleased to be blocked from someone elses post that feels my contribution is of no value what-so-ever. What do the rest of the folk think? It could save the mods a lot of bother with pettiness.

Re: Question for the mods and software guru's

Geez Jim, I'm sorry!

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Don't point your finger at me, Daddy-O, I'll bite it off!

Really, Jim, I wish we could do that.

Jim, I agree,
    I have one of these guys that everytime I post something follows me with unintelligent, pungent and pointless remarks.
    Let's, yes, let's!

I don't know of any standard feature that would allow an OP to block responses from seleted individuals. You can, of course, put them on your ignore list, so you don't see their posts anywhere.

We're avoiding making any code-level changes to the software, as that entails a huge amount of work every time a factory upgrade comes along (even minor ones).

I think this would be a great idea. I have also been the victem of someone who waits for me to post and then comes on to start a fight. The problem IMHO is that the moderators don't always apply this guideline

"Prohibited behavior
    By accessing this site, you agree not to abuse other site users, neither by posting offensive comments (like personal attacks or insulting language)..."

If they would you might see a lot of this behavior go away.

steve simmons

As Ralph noted, the software will not allow the sort of blocks that are being requested. However, we have taken note of the issue of harrassment and will be 1) clarifying the guidelines and 2) paying more attention to this sort of behavior.

That would kind of defeat the purpose of a "community", wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    That would kind of defeat the purpose of a "community", wouldn't it?
    Not really. Every community has stone throwers. Every community does what it can to prevent broken windows and punishes people who break them. It may be several years before the next major upgrade here, but I think it would be worthy of looking at.

sounds to me like the ignore function should do the same as you are asking. if you do not see their posts then it has the same effect.....well almost. remember it takes two to fight! if you do not see their posts then you do not respond to them=they go away cause it is not so much fun to play by yourself. (notice i did not say "with" yourself! har har har!)

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery