Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Service/parts for Graflex Super D. Advice needed, please.

Re: Service/parts for Graflex Super D. Advice needed, please.

Jon, Bill, Ernest, Glenn, John and Leonard:

-Thank you very much for your replies and recommendations!
    It's certainly good to know of several possible people to consult regarding parts/service and modifications,
    and of course the links to manuals/repair handbooks are very valuable to someone with a camera like this.
    I'm starting to look forward to getting on with this project!

The reason I'm looking to get a standard type back on this camera is that I'd like to use my regular polaroid holder and
    my nice, new 4"x5" film holders with the Super D.
    (Trying to keep the amount of gear down to an acceptable minimum, you see... )

If anyone could tell me if the lever next to the camera operator's left thumb should release the mirror AND trip the shutter, I'd be very happy.

Again; thanks for your help, guys!

Ole - Yes the lever on the left side normally releases both the mirror and the shutter. However, referring to this page: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...excatc/p4.html
    The part labeled D is a slider that can be set so the left side release only triggers the mirror, and then the shutter is triggered by M. Much like a mirror prerelease on a 35mm SLR. There is a chance the slider on yours is set to the "mirror release only" position. The slider D (at least on my non-Super D) can be difficult to slide back and forth, but you should be able to move it on your camera.

Thanks, Leonard!

-You were right on the mark there; I didn't figure this little lever arm for being a sliding kind of thingy.
    Works very nicely now!

I remember seing a guide on the web about lubing the focal plane shutter of a speed graphic. maybee on graflex.org. The shutter on my super D is very similar to a speed graphic. If someone was poor but handy they might try it. Just make sure to keep all the parts so if you mess it up you can send it to someone who knows what they are doing.

speaking of graflex SLR's, I really hate the wingnut they use for winding the shutter. Would be much easier if it was a round knob.
    (gripe off)

Dude, with all due respect, screw a bag mag. I used those for years and dust was always a problem unless I had the leather bag replaced. All those 60 year old decomposing leather bags really produced a lot of dust. The smartest thing I ever did was having SK Grimes replace the back of my cameras with a 4x5 Graflock. I have access to all modern emulsions and Polaroid films. Just my two cents....

William

Lightbender:

I've taken the Super D apart and will recondition most of the mechanicals myself.
    And yes; it's indeed tempting to find another -maybe roundish?- solution to the winged shutter-aperture selector/curtain winder.
    If my right wrist had a couple of more joints in it, the existing number might work some of the time...

William:

I've come to the conclusion that I'll go with the same solution you chose; Graflock back it is.
    I've eyed a friend's Crown Graphic back to evaluate how much machine shop work I'd have to do
    to get a back of similar heritage onto my camera, but maybe it'd be better to have Grimes do this.
    How much did the conversion cost, if I may ask?

Thanks for your input, guys!