Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5x7 camere advice needed

Re: 5x7 camere advice needed

My 60+ year old Deardorff 5x7 has served me well for most of its life. I also have a 4x5 back for it which actually makes it essentially the Deardorff 4x5 Special. I even have the unusual, I hesitate to say rare, 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 back for it.

By the way, the original bellows is stilll in excellent condition.

I do not really need wide angle lenses. The wides I use for 4x5 is 135mm and I use it only rearly, it is too wide for me. So I think reducing back will not be a problem.

I am more and more set for Gowland. The problem is that it is not very common camera and it seems quite hard to find used one. The new is a little out of my budget.

Vaughn - why do you say (like Ted) it is not for everyone. I think I do not understand where the problem might be. It seems lightweight, has plenty of movements...
    I have no opportunity to use it before I decide so please, let me know more.

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Jan_6568 View Post
    I do not really need wide angle lenses. The wides I use for 4x5 is 135mm and I use it only rearly, it is too wide for me. So I think reducing back will not be a problem.

I am more and more set for Gowland. The problem is that it is not very common camera and it seems quite hard to find used one. The new is a little out of my budget.

Vaughn - why do you say (like Ted) it is not for everyone. I think I do not understand where the problem might be. It seems lightweight, has plenty of movements...

Jan
    Jan,

Gowlands are fine cameras, but nearly all of them are special in one way or another. They are very useable (I have an 8x10) but they aren't like your normal monorail--for example you probably won't find geared movements and some models use hex keys instead of knobs. These innovations go a long way towards making Gowlands what they are---very lightwieght and compact. If that is what you want then you probably want a Gowland, but they are nothing like, say Sinars or Arca Swiss.

A "plus" thing about Gowlands are that they are so light, you won't need a heavy tripod to support one.

A "negative" thing about Gowlands is that they are so light, even a light wind can cause issues (except for maybe the 8x10 TLR!)

If I were going to shoot in the Pribiloffs, the Colorado Plateau, or Chicago I'd take a Deardorff. If I were going to backpack across China or Europe, I'd take a Gowland.

If you want a Gowland, give Peter a call--his tel.# is on his website. Sometimes he refurbishes used ones. If not, He's still a great gentleman to speak with, especially about his cameras!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Jan_6568 View Post

Jan
    One complaint I got was there were no indents for knowing that all movements were in their "neutral" positions. This does not bother me as one can line up the movements pretty close without them, and I can judge alignment by the image on the GG.

The need for an allen wrench for some of the movements turns some folks off. Many have replaced the allen-headed screws with knobs (I have done this with the front standard for tilt, and if I used it more instead of my 8x10, I would also replace the ones on the back standards). My Gowland, bought new from Calumet for $220 in the early 80's, came with a landyard for putting the allen wrench around one's neck -- I still have the same one after 20+ years...but keep a couple extra in the camera bag "just in case".

No revolving back (on my model). But it is light enough to tilt 90 degrees on the tripod. If one shoots more of hort than vertical (or the other way around), the camera can be set up to be in that orientation.

It is not a tank. But it is not prone to damage. Some folks want something that is rock steady, and are willing to pay the extra price in weight. I used a Gitzo 300 series pod and #2 ballhead. I had no problem with camera shake under normal conditions.

It is not in its own "box". I would disconnect the two rail pieces, loosen the swings and compress the camera into a small unit. With just a little practise, putting it back together is just as quick as setting up my Zone VI 8x10. It is also light enough to keep on the tripod as one wanders around (2.5 pounds with lens).

That's all I can think of now. Some of these charteristics are enough to turn people off the camera, for others, they are the positives that commend the camera.

Vaughn

The Gowland is really tempting me. One more question - is there anything like 4x5 to 5x7 conversion kit or back for the Pocket View? There is 4x5 on e-bay now and I was thinking to try to get this one and "enlarge" it rather then to get reducing back for 5x7. Any thoughts?

Jan

Mine probably could not convert to a 5x7 -- perhaps one that had a rotating back would be possible. Since Mr. Gowland hand made these cameras, the variation between cameras is large. The model marketed thru Calumet when I bought mine is probably the lightest (only a 12' rail -- two 6" sections, pail handle back, and the bellows have a rectangular shape just big enough for 4x5). My bellows are also glued on -- not removable.

A call to Mr.Gowland with a description of the ebay camera might be the best way to go on this question. Now you got me wishing I could convert mine to 5x7!

Vaughn

Edited to add: Just looked at the camera on ebay -- it is identical to the one I have...down to the allen wrench on a landyard. Still might be worth calling Mr. Gowland -- he might have some ideas.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 10-Feb-2007 at 12:31. Reason: looked at the ebay camera

I will, thanks a lot.

Jan