Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 camere advice needed

Cool Re: 5x7 camere advice needed

I had a Shen 4x5 and a 5x7 sold both. Have two canhams, 5x7 and 8x10. will keep both.

Canham quality several notches better.

Keith gives excellent usa service, can make a special part, etc etc.

Re: 5x7 camere advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    The Canham Wood 5x7 is my everyday 5x7. I've been using mine day in an day out for 11 years. Highly recommend same. I also own and use a Gowland PocketView 5x7; if you want ultimate lightweight this is it. Yes, if you find one Peter does
    have a reducing back.
    Ted,
    what do you think of your Gowland? Is it enough sturdy? How easy it is to work with movements controlled by single knob? I understand that you can add extension rod to the monorail but what would be maximum extension bellows allows?

I saw on Peter Gowland's web page that he still offers 5x7 Pocket View, the one with "revolving" back. He also makes reducing backs. I thought he offered 5x7s no longer and it would be quite hard to find used one.

Jan

Jan,

I'll second John K's recommendation of the Dorff Special... it's a great camera and is quite manageable weight-wise.

They are a tad bit harder to find these days but, IMHO, it's well worth searching for!

BTW, I love mine.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan_6568 View Post
    Ted,
    what do you think of your Gowland? Is it enough sturdy? How easy it is to work with movements controlled by single knob? I understand that you can add extension rod to the monorail but what would be maximum extension bellows allows?

I saw on Peter Gowland's web page that he still offers 5x7 Pocket View, the one with "revolving" back. He also makes reducing backs. I thought he offered 5x7s no longer and it would be quite hard to find used one.

Jan
    First, i am prejudiced. As most here know, Peter is a friend. Second the Gowlandis a very specialized camera for special purposes. It is sturdy enough but not rock solid but that is the tradeoff for ultimate lightweight. The movements are more difficult to work than on may other cameras but not hard once you are used to them ... another tradeoff. As to the maximum extension I will have to go measure later today but it is not a hugely long extension, my guess would be somewhere around 300/360 as the longest lens. I seldom use the second rail, just mount a 150 on it and leave it alone.

As far as availability, there are no new 5x7's available and he won't be making any more (AFAIK there are no 4x5 Pocket Views either). I was with Petr & Alice two weeks ago and there didn't seem to be any Pocket Views around, he had had one 5x7 which he told me he sold a few months ago. He is working on 4x5 Gowlandflexes and that will the end of new Gowlands. Remember, Peter will be 91 in a few months! He does have plent of spare parts around and, yes,does have reducing backs for the 5x7 and 8x10 Pocket Views.

If you have your heart set on a 5x7 they do come up used if you have patience. However, I want to stress again that this is not a camera of everyone or for all times and places. Chances are you will pay a premium for one and it will give you far mor elimited capabilities than the Canham I and others ahve been recommending. OTOH, there is nothing that comes close in terms of weight and compactness and if that is your goal then go for it. If you are seriously interested in a 5x7 Gowland I know where there may be one for sale, send me an email or PM. Again, be sure this is the right choice for you. If I wanted to shoot from 90 to 450 or longer it wouldn'd be with the Gowland. If I was happy shooting from wide to 240 then the Gowland would be perfect IF I also wanted the light weight. It takes a bit of time to setup if you are carrying it fully disassembled but if partially assembled sets up quick. Just want you to get a feel for all its pluses and minuses. Peter built a superb lightweight, do everything camera but he did so with tradeoffs and tradeoffs that are not necessarily for everyone.

Reducing backs move the GG further out from the back of the camera body. Thus, a 75mm lens may not work simply because you would not be able to get the lens close enough to the reducing back GG due to the bellows. Most likely you would need a negative bellows extension from zero to get a 75mm lens close enough and most bellows will not do do such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    Reducing backs move the GG further out from the back of the camera body. Thus, a 75mm lens may not work simply because you would not be able to get the lens close enough to the reducing back GG due to the bellows. Most likely you would need a negative bellows extension from zero to get a 75mm lens close enough and most bellows will not do do such a thing.
    Sometimes the case (frequently) but not always, depends on the design.

Now that I think of it, you may be able to solve the problem (if it exists) of not being able to using a 75mm lens with a bag bellows. I believe a bag bellows will allow negative extension.

The Canham Wood 5x7 with a reducing back would certainly be a great solution. That's the route I would/will be taking soon.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    A Deardorff Special will do what you want.
    I went on a photo shoot with a friend and another friend of his. He had a Deardorff special with the revolving 4x5 back and a 5x7 back. Very nice.

I used a knock-off of a Deardorf Special, with both 4x5 and 5x7 backs. It is a good combination. I only used it with a 210mm lens.

I also used a Gowland 4x5 for many years, which I really like. I do not shoot much 4x5 these days, but the Gowland is always ready if I do. I have lent it out once or twice -- but the borrowers never asked to use it again. Like Ted said, it is not the camera for everyone, but it is well made and well thought out in its own quirky way. Optimally, you should use one before you committ to buy it.

Good luck in finding something that fits all your needs!

Vaughn