Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G-claron portraits?

G-claron portraits?

So I have two very different conflicting aesthetic preferences for portraiture. I love the older style of very soft-looking portraits. I also love very, very sharp portraits...so sharp it's a little cruel to the sitter.

Does anyone use an appropriate g-claron for the second type of portrait aesthetic? I just bought cells for a 240 g-claron and, while I eagerly wait for it and the shutter to arrive, I'm wondering if it will become a favorite portrait lens for me.

Re: G-claron portraits?

Chris,

Although I don't do portraits... I can tell you that the 240 G-Claron is a really sharp and contrasty lens.

If you want sharp, sharp portraits... it'll certainly give that to you.

It's one of my most used (and favorite) lenses on 5x7 and 8x10.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I've used the 240 G Claron for portraits. It is wonderfully sharp, but there is something else too - the way it handles specular highlights. Catchlights in the subject's eyes, for example, seem slightly more toned down than with a multicoated lens. That makes it a great portrait lens in my opinion. Of course if you scan and use digital sharpening you'll lose that subtle effect.

[QUOTE=Capocheny;214916]Chris,

Although I don't do portraits... I can tell you that the 240 G-Claron is a really sharp and contrasty lens.

Hi there--I've been working with an Ebony RW 4x5 down in Guatemala and Nicaragua, basically making street portraits. I've been using a Schneider 210/5.6 Copal 1 shutter lens. For some things, it was a little too tight. I'm considering adding a 150 but since I'm carrying everything on my back, I'd like to go light. Does this lens make sense: Schneider 150mm G-Claron 4x5 camera lens. Reading the threads, it sounds like a very nice, sharp lens. Any opinions?

Thanks,
    Michelle

It's a nice sharp lens but my preference would be a 150 Apon Sironar-S. still small and light and, IMO, a much better performer.

Hoping to try the 355 Claron for an 11x14 portrait this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes if it happens. If I have the time, I may do a direct comparison to the 450 Nikkor M and the 360 Symmar Convertible. I've used the Symmar on two other portraits and have liked it, but part of what I liked was the look I got shooting it wide open at f5.6. The Claron and the Nikkor M are f9 at wide open, so I anticipate a different look. May not matter at 1:1....we'll see.

--A

Hmmm. Not really fair because I've never tried one, but for the wiry sharp portraits you describe, I choose a Rapid Rectilinear. Superb contrast and sharpness with just a touch of fall off in the corners. The G should look similar perhaps. The 5 bladed aperture may bight you. If so, shoot it wide open.

[QUOTE=Michelle Frankfurter;235346]
    Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Chris,

Hi there--I've been working with an Ebony RW 4x5 down in Guatemala and Nicaragua, basically making street portraits. I've been using a Schneider 210/5.6 Copal 1 shutter lens. For some things, it was a little too tight. I'm considering adding a 150 but since I'm carrying everything on my back, I'd like to go light. Does this lens make sense: Schneider 150mm G-Claron 4x5 camera lens. Reading the threads, it sounds like a very nice, sharp lens. Any opinions?

Thanks,
    Michelle
    Hi Michelle,

If you need something a little bit wider... I'd agree with Ted and also recommend that you look at the 150 Rodenstock-S. From all that I've read about this lens... it's suppose to be quite spectacular.

Personally, I'm waiting to find a Nikkor 150SW (it's a big piece of glass and isn't one of the lighter 150s around.)

Good luck down there in Guatemala.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Hi Michelle,

If you need something a little bit wider... I'd agree with Ted and also recommend that you look at the 150 Rodenstock-S. From all that I've read about this lens... it's suppose to be quite spectacular.

Personally, I'm waiting to find a Nikkor 150SW (it's a big piece of glass and isn't one of the lighter 150s around.)

Good luck down there in Guatemala.

Cheers

Thanks!

This is a great forum. I'll hunt around for the Rodenstock. I'm hoping to find something on Ebay. One thing I noticed about the 210--the ring kept coming loose from the lens board and I had to disassemble the lens and re-tighten--a pain, especially when you're shooting in some pretty crazy situations. I considered simply gluing the ring onto the lens board. Does this make sense?

Use one element of your G-Claron?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White