Thread: Wooden 5x7 film holders

Wooden 5x7 film holders

Well, the camera is on the way from Rob Skeoch, and I've been getting ready for it. I just aquired some wooden 5x7 film holders for pretty cheap. They are very clean (I was quite impressed actually, not having any reference to compare to), and seem solid. I've never really handles a film holder before, and I never realized that the end is actually a flap that the film slides in to. First of all, what is the purpose of this design? I am a little concerned over light-tightness (I'll be testing them with paper this weekend), as I've been told that the old wooden holders tend to leak. I seem to be able to slightly wiggle that end flap forward and backward a little bit at the corners, but not past the extent of the darkslide. Does anybody see a problem here?

Thanks,
    Tim

Re: Wooden 5x7 film holders

The flap is an ingenious design that allows you to insert and remove the film with the dark slide is pulled open slightly (don’t remove it all the way while loading or removing film) and with the dark slide inserted it keeps the light from reaching the film. The weak link is the hinge material, which must be flexible and light tight at the same time. Another thing about the flap is that, when closed, it must rest flat with the rest of the holder surface because that surface must mate with the camera back to form a light tight barrier between the film holder and the camera. When the dark slide is removed, the only light reaching the inside of the camera should be from the lens.
    Jerome

Tim,

One suggestion... take some 5x7 printing paper, load them into your holders and let them sit in light for a short while. Then, process the paper and see if you have any light leakage problems.

Second suggestion... you can always buy some book binding tape and re-tape the hinge areas.

What camera did you buy from Rob?

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I bought a Shen Hao- it's in the mail today

Upon examination of the holders, they do seem quite sturdy and flush, with just a bit of wiggle at the corners ot the "flap". I plan on testing with some paper this weekend. All in all, they seem to be in wonderful shape..... They do not appear warped in any way, but I guess there may be some small wows that I cannot discern until puting them in the camera back.

Most of the flaps (depending on manufacturer) have some sort of light trap (ridges, etc.). Black hockey tape works too to fix failing hinges in a hurry.

I have a number of wooden film holders, 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. I've never had a light leak problem with any of them. I actually prefer them to the more modern plastic one's: they're lighter in weight and the slides don't seem to bind as much as they can with plastic holders.

Mike