Thread: Steam Locomotives in Winter: Ely Nev. February 2007

Steam Locomotives in Winter: Ely Nev. February 2007

Sad to say, I let this one slip up on me, however anyone interested in photographing live steam locos in winter should still check out http://www.nevadanorthernrailway.net...rphoto2007.htm to see if they are interested.

The operators are doing run-ups just for photographers (fee charged, of course), and there is still one session open. They may add another day/session if enough people are interested.

It's kinda last minute to truck on up to Ely, in north-eastern Nevada, but still possible for some. It's happening this week and next. As I let my calendar get too full at the last minute, I'll have to pass this year, but go next year or perhaps more certainly in the spring or summer for the interesting territory on the way. Hopefully, somebody will do some large format camera work there - even if it ends up being a little cliche, it should still be really neato.

Re: Steam Locomotives in Winter: Ely Nev. February 2007

I went in 2000. Railroad photogs are a group unto themselves. I was definitely odd man out with a 5X7 camera that year. Most of the brotherhood at that time were using battered Nikon F's with Kodachrome. They all knew each other. One guy was particularly colorful with a speed graphic 4X5 and Lanthar. He was an old cigar smoking photo journalist and he shot that old speed hand held. He lit the night shot for us with flash bulbs. We all packed into a caboose with a pot of stew on the original wood stove and rattled off to the different locations. Then we'd pile out, set up our tripods while the engineer would back the train up the line in preparation. Then he'd put the throttle in the corner and pour on way too much oil to make just as much smoke as possible. What a blast! I'm sort of glad they're sold out. That way I don't have to torture myself wishing I was there.

For those who like to photograph steam railroads, the Durango Silverton offers their Winter Photo Special on February 18. They run the train from Durango to half-way to Silverton (the tracks are blocked by snow the rest of the way).

The web site is:

http://www.durangotrain.com/events/PhotoSpecial.htm

In their words:
    The Winter Photo Special train is a unique winter train with photo run-bys. Complimentary donuts and coffee in the morning. Train departs at 8:00 a.m. and returns at dusk. Fare is $99.00 for coach and $145 for caboose. Very limited seating.
    al

It's not sold out yet. Two of the three sessions are sold out, one left, and if enough people want one more, they may do it.

Wish I'd known in time; both grandfathers rode the rails on steam for the Royal Indian Railways during the British Raj over 100 years ago; one was an engine driver, and the other was a guard in Burma. I have many fond memories of going on holiday with the entire family in a huge private reserved compartment, stopping at tiny stations in the middle of the night, the air filled with the smell and sounds of platform food, hawkers ready with steaming samovars of tea, and little boys running through the train taking orders, delivering food and drink, and returning with the exact change as the train moved off - without writing down a single order (they couldn't read or write)! And also coal dust in my eyes.
    Last edited by Uri Kolet; 2-Feb-2007 at 21:25. Reason: Change of text