Thread: 6x9 Arca with Schneider 47mm XL lens, questions???

6x9 Arca with Schneider 47mm XL lens, questions???

I have a several questions for those of you using the Schneider 47mm XL lens on 6x9 Arca F-Line cameras. Firstly, have you found the need to use a center filte r on this lens with either 6x9 or 6x7 formats? Are you using the 20cm universal bellows with a reccesed lens board, or the 15cm wide angle bellows? For those of you using the universal bellows, do you have any problems with bellows bindin g with movements? Does the lens provide ample movement? How do you like this le ns? Thanks a lot. Bob P.

Bob I can't answer all your questions for I use this lens on an Ebony SW45, howe ver I have used it with the 6x9 and 6x12 backs also with 4x5 and have not yet fo und the need for a centre filter. In 6x9 I can get a fair amount of movement(abo ut 40mm front rise). And yes I like this lens a lot, in a tight corner it can ge t you out of trouble, and it's superb for wide open landscapes, oh those skies! ENOUGH! Regards,

Are you planning on shooting color or black and white? Slides or negatives? With color slides you will definitely need a centerfilter with the 6cm x 9 cm format. The 58 mm XL, same lens design, needs one for 6cm x 9 cm color slides.

My experience is with a 4x5 Arca Swiss F-Line and this lens. The lens was mounted on the standard (13mm recess) Arca lens board and i definitely needed the w/a bellows. With 4x5 I had ample movements so the answer you'll be fine in the 6x9 format. And yes the center filter may be necessary for a balanced exposure.

My experience is with a 4x5 Arca Swiss F-Line and this lens. The lens was mounted on the standard (13mm recess) Arca lens board and the w/a bellows was deinitely needed. With 4x5 I had ample movements so the answer you'll be fine in the 6x9 format. And yes the center filter may be necessary for a balanced exposure.

Bob, I personally would advise the use of the center filter for chromes larger t han 6x7, or with the use of movements. More, the Schneider center filter which has a mirrored surface will p rotect your lens from producing a parasite image which happen's sometimes when there is a strong light source. I had this thing happen to me in one occasion when I used no center filter in the sunlight (I nor mally always use it but I had a wind problem that day). I was very surprised, for the effect is very special i n the shape of a partial ring reproducing some of the image content, out of a circle where the image is correc t. After that, I read about it in the Schneider litterature. I can use the same center filter on my Ni kkor SW 65, so the cost was less disturbing.

Hi,

I fear that I've no answer for the 47mm, but I've a somewhat similar question concerning the use of 55/58mm lense and the 150mm

I'm in the process of getting one on the second hand market.. It will come with the universal bellow (soft learther and 20cm long). The spec. sheet says that this bellow accept lenses from 55mm to 150mm.

I'd like to aquire both a 55mm or 58mm lense and a 150mm then, may be later, a 75mm . or something in the middle range..

My question is : would I get enough movements with those extrem focals for that bellow ?? does it make sense, or should I rather go with a 65mm and a 135mm instead?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience

Christiane:

In addition to the 55, I used a 180 with the standard bellows and could have used a 210, so a 150 will have plenty of extension... if you need 1:1, you will probably need to go with a 100mm.

Bob, I've come late to this thread, but...I've been using a 47mm for almost 16 years (and now the 47 XL) and have never felt the need for a center filter. SB