Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop with black and white

lazy retired bum

Photoshop with black and white

In my 4x5 and medium format work, I shoot exclusively black and white, TMAX 100. I have recently begun a major foray (many $$$) into black and white hybrid digital with a Microtek 1800f scanner, Nikon 9000 scanner, and Epson 3800 printer. The few inkjet prints I have produced are very encouraging, even compared to my own darkroom prints, and I've been printing in the darkroom for 40+ years.

I have used Photoshop for a few years with my small format 35mm color work (scanned slides) and with direct digital color capture (Nikon DSLR). I am moderately familiar with using Photoshop in general and am currently using the CS3 beta. It is a quite impressive program, in my view. I have read Blatner and Fraser's Photoshop CS book and Martin Evening's CS2 book.

Neither of these resources answer my many questions about using Photoshop for black and white.

Does anyone know of a good resource for a person like myself, years of shooting 4x5, moderate though not extensive experience scanning, and moderate experience with Photoshop? Surely with the advent of high quality black and white printers such as the Epson 2400, and the *800 series, 3800, 4800, etc, and the new Canon and HP dye printers, someone can see a place for a book or monograph on monochrome image work with Photoshop.

Thanks for any help.

Eric

Re: Photoshop with black and white

Hi Eric, As you know this site has lots of talented people willing to share their knowledge. I will bet if you post some specific questions about what you are trying to accomplish in PS someone will be able to help you.

I have found many of the books on ps to be helpful even with black and white. I would just ignore the parts that are specific to color only. Many of the things are virtualy the same like levels, sharpening, dust removal, curves, sharpening and so on.

You will develop your own routine or workflow after alot of experimentation and research.

Good luck on your journey!

There are many approaches that work, as anything in PS.

I'm fond of George DeWolfe's new book. The Digital Photography Fine Print Workshop. George is an expert printer and great photographer who studied with many of the old school masters before turning to digital. The book won't answer all your questions, but if you work your way through it, your work will improve dramatically.

http://www.amazon.com/George-DeWolfe.../dp/0072260874
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I don't understand what is so exotic about working on B&W in PS? I don't mean it in jest, I used to be (bragging, I know) a decent silver printer. The same judgement is what makes the difference, there really aren't that many special skills.

Their are techniques and tips of course, and most of those apply to output methods. You can be in the Jon Cone camp or the Quadtone MIS camp or the Epson 38-4800 print driver camp... And honestly, because the technology changes on the printing side so frequently, we're better off with internet forums and the like.

The same judgement is what makes the difference, there really aren't that many special skills.
    I agree with Frank completely on this. Having said that, I had the rough draft of this book when I was making the transition and it helped enormously. I had allot of catching up to do. There is sooooooooooooooo much information (much of it contradictory) out there, that it is hard to sift through it all. George by the way is in a camp of his own even though he teaches at the Cone Workshops (amongst others).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

The issue with Photoshop - and other similar tools these days - is that you don't know what you don't know, and the tools keep evolving.

As it is with analog methods, it is with digital: You have to keep scratching around from time to time, to see what's new out there.

Perhaps you can find someone whose work you admire, and study with them, either briefly or in-depth. A few words from an expert are often worth their weight in... Palladium.

Hello Eric.
    Try Charles Cramer. He's been getting some fine results and there is QuadTone printing.
    If you need CC email? I have it.

it also starts with getting a good file from the neg. Some prefer other ways (like Silverfast), but I like getting a 'raw" scan with Vuescan and then using a little piece of software called NegPos to convert it. Although mainly designed for colour neg, I find it does a really good job getting a very wide range of info into the positive file, which you can then change or compress to your liking

Mind you, both vuesacn and NegPos aren't quite user friendly - if you liked DOS3.1 you'll like them...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

If you are comfortable with Pshop for color work, you probably know all you need to know for grayscale. Grayscale differs from color work in three key areas. First, if your caputure was color, you have to convert to grayscale. There are lots of different ways to do this, but you may not have to do it at all. I scan my B&W negs as grayscale, so I don't have a conversion to do.

Second and third, with grayscale you avoid color balancing, and dealing with saturation issues. They just don't exist in grayscale.

Everything else is about the same. You crop, spot, and sharpen the same way. You use levels and curves the same way, etc.

That said, I second the call out of George DeWolfe's new book. It's nicely done. Just about anyone will learn some new techniques from George, and the ones that aren't color specific apply just as much to grayscale work as to color.

Bruce Watson

I have read the two titles you mention, and all of the major PS texts. The best, for photographers (not designers or prepress etc.) that I have encountered, is PS Artistry, by Barry Haynes and Wendy Crumpler. Its explanations are simple, concise and comprehensive. It is directed at photographers and covers all of the topics required to go from a scan to a print. Highest recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brody View Post
    In my 4x5 and medium format work, I shoot exclusively black and white, TMAX 100. I have recently begun a major foray (many $$$) into black and white hybrid digital with a Microtek 1800f scanner, Nikon 9000 scanner, and Epson 3800 printer. The few inkjet prints I have produced are very encouraging, even compared to my own darkroom prints, and I've been printing in the darkroom for 40+ years.

I have used Photoshop for a few years with my small format 35mm color work (scanned slides) and with direct digital color capture (Nikon DSLR). I am moderately familiar with using Photoshop in general and am currently using the CS3 beta. It is a quite impressive program, in my view. I have read Blatner and Fraser's Photoshop CS book and Martin Evening's CS2 book.

Neither of these resources answer my many questions about using Photoshop for black and white.

Does anyone know of a good resource for a person like myself, years of shooting 4x5, moderate though not extensive experience scanning, and moderate experience with Photoshop? Surely with the advent of high quality black and white printers such as the Epson 2400, and the *800 series, 3800, 4800, etc, and the new Canon and HP dye printers, someone can see a place for a book or monograph on monochrome image work with Photoshop.

Thanks for any help.

Eric