Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flatbed scanner reliability: what's your experience?

Flatbed scanner reliability: what's your experience?

Just finished packing up my Microtek i800 to return it for a swap under warranty. It finally failed completely this week, after seven months of very light use culminating in a slow and nuisance-filled descent into flakiness. (It would be nice if scanner vendors had troubleshooting advice beyond "Uninstall all the software, reinstall all the software, unplug everything, plug everything together again, turn everything off, turn everything on, reboot three times while dancing an Irish jig. Repeat until scanner works or sanity is lost irretrievably.")

N = 1, so one can't read much into this event. But I've seen plenty of web-gossip that, on the whole, flatbeds do pretty poorly in this respect. I'd be interested in a tally of others' experiences, if folks are willing to take a moment to post. Obviously this wouldn't be a statistically representative sample, but I'm curious anyway. Which models have you owned within, say, the past three years? Which ones have failed within the first three months? First year? Ever? How many samples did you have to try of your current scanner before you got one that works?

And here's a general question: is there any hard evidence to support a presumption that spending more money buys greater reliability? Or is it an out-and-out crapshoot at any price, at least among consumer-grade scanners?

Re: Flatbed scanner reliability: what's your experience?

This is a trail of tears. I have a hard time remembering all of them that failed. I think I had one 1800f fail completely right out of the box and another a week after I got it. My current one has lasted two years but I don't use it much (only for wet scanning). I had three (?) Canon 9950f's fail, and one or two 4870's (or a 3200 and a 4870) and a Nikon 8000. The 4990's were most durable. I had two that never failed until I sold them and got a 750 Pro, which seems kind of cheesy but I have had no problems with it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I bought my Epson Perfection 2450 Photo as factory reconditioned about three years ago. With moderate use it hasn't failed yet.

I tried two 1800fs and have had good luck with Espons, which are so inexpensive relative to what they can do that if it broke I think I would just drive out to CompUSA and buy another one as soon as I needed to do a scan.

We are so spoilt to have $400 scanners that surpass what the best printers had 12-13 years ago (or whatever, I don't care that so and so had something better, it is just a rough observation.)

I have two + years on my 9950, a few thousand scans at least. Canon will sell you an extended warranty for a total of 3 years for very little extra.

I have had my 1800f for two years with no problems. I have had my ArtixScan 120tf for four years with no problems, and my Microtek Scanmaker 6400XL for six years (a whole lot of use on this one) and no problems. I use SilverFast Ai Studio on them all and only recently had a problem with an update for the 120tf. It seems it was a SilverFast problem and they are working on it. Is there such a thing as scanning karma?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    (It would be nice if scanner vendors had troubleshooting advice beyond "Uninstall all the software, reinstall all the software, unplug everything, plug everything together again, turn everything off, turn everything on, reboot three times while dancing an Irish jig. Repeat until scanner works or sanity is lost irretrievably.")
    Hi Oren,

This is the standard recommendation for anything and everything these days! I think it's in their "Bible of Repair Advice!"

Anyway, sorry to hear about the problem you're having with the Microtek.

I've had an Epson 3200 for the past few years and have had absolutely no problems with it. Knock on wood!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

18 trouble-free months with my Epson 4990, but used lightly, only about 1000 scans.

Never had a problem in two or so years with my 4990 though it isn't used heavily.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Oren, spending more money will absolutely buy more reliability and good tech suppoer and service but we are talking lots more money. From the 300 - 750 range you jump right up to nearly 13K and at that price you get reliability and service.

OTOH, I have an 1800f that has seen some heavy use for 2 years and no problems.