Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difficult to remove dark slides - solutions?

Re: Difficult to remove dark slides - solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
    Return them. You were sold stuff that does not work correctly.
    Wrong,

I have bought new in the box holders from retailers that have had the same problem..

Clean the slides good and apply some wax to lubricate them, I have also taken 400 grit paper to edges to get them to slide smooth in the past...

It is not an uncommon problem to have sticky slide, whether new or used..geeze!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Karnezis View Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I have some Pine Sol, Windex & Pledge around the house. I'll try them & see what happens. I have a feeling the problem lies in the light trap area because the rails & dark slides seem too smooth and clean to be the problem. A couple slides haved bowed from lying flat for too long, or maybe they're just from the wrong holders. The man who sold them to me is very nice, so I can return them without a problem if they don't loosen up. BTW, where does one find beeswax?
    You can get beeswax in a small block at most local hardware stores, for about $3.00 it is a very handy thing to keep around for more than just dark slides..

Dave

Tony,

Hhhmmmm!!

Try this - Remove the slide. Open the hinged light trap (where you'd slide in film). Gently re-insert the slide from the open hinge end (backwards). If the slide goes in smoothly and then jams it's the felt bar at the other end (where the slide would normally go in first) that's messed up. Most screw together, so open 'em up and look at the black material and the metal bar backer behind it.

What usually happens is that the folks before you replaced the slides with ones that didn't fit perfectly. (i.e. too thick, too wide).

Same happened to me recently. Missmatched slides 1/2" too short! Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Wrong

Yes,

You are WRONG...

And your point is?

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass

I use very fine sandpaper to make sure the edges are smooth (slick). I blow out the light trap. I mean blow it out good. No wimpy canned air. You will be amazed at how much dirt the things can hold. I do not agree with inserting the slides backward. That's a good way to ruin the spring in the light trap! Wash the slides with a cloth or paper towel dampened with a good cleaning fluid, and dry. I like Formula 409. Wax the slides with a couple of coats of well buffed Lemon Pledge. It smells nice, too. The slides should then glide in and out very nicely. I specialize in refurbing the cheapest old holders I can find and have a hefty supply of nice ones in 2X3 to 8X10 that work as good as new at very little cost. I could never afford the "good" ones.

Clean and wax.

Thanks your great suggestions, everyone. I took much of your advice and fixed everything. I thoroughly cleaned the dark slides with 409 and the tracks with a toothbrush. Then I scrubbed the edges of the dark slides really well with a green scouring pad and lubricated them with pledge on a Bounce sheet. Even the ones that barely would budge now slide with ease. I like the sandpaper & beeswax idea, but it seems that (for now) they didn't need it. I'll probably get some fine grit sandpaper just to smooth them out even more, though.

And the best part--I got 11 plastic 5x7 film holders in excellent condition that now slide like new for less than $5.50 apiece!