Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workshop recommendations?

Workshop recommendations?

I am looking for a workshop that might fit some of my workshop wish list. Wish list includes it being with in resonable driving distance of where I live, San Francisco, CA. Which would include the Sierra (Eastern Sierra/ Death Valley when Tioga Pass is open), Big Sur to the south, and almost to Oregon to the north. Workshop length, 2-4 days. Focus would be on B&W LF film with capture, development, scanning and digital printing (full wet process would be fine as well, but if the overall foucs is largely wet printing I would not be interested). I would like an emphasis on creative topics versus the totally technically oriented. Subject matter should be some form of landscape, natural or otherwise, coastal preferred. Don Kirby's Jackson Hole B&W workshop looks interesting (http://www.jacksonholeworkshops.org/workshops/Kirby.htm) , if it where only with in driving distance.

Thanks in advance for your input,
    -alan

Zebra

Re: Workshop recommendations?

Kerik Kouklis is a master at all you mentioned. Although he is known for various wet alternative process' including Pt/Pd, Pt/Pd Gumovers, and Wet Plate Collodion he works with several digital outputs as well for enlarged negatives, POP prints, and to boot he lives in Placerville, CA not but an hour and half from the Bay. He is a tireless teacher with a great sense of how much to give at just the right time. He shoots various formats all the way up to 14 x 17. In short you can't go wrong with what you described in wanting for a workshop. Hope you find what you are looking for wherever you decide to go.

Monty

You might also check out U.C. Santa Cruz which IIRC offers workshops.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

also the ansel adams gallery workshops, http://www.anseladams.com
    they list traditional and digital workshops.

Last year the Ansel Adams Workshops included one taught by Charles Cramer at two locations, Yosemite and San Francisco. I registered for the one in San Francisco (Yosemite was full) but ended up having to cancel. So I have no personal experience with the workshop and don't remember exactly how long it was but I think about four days. Charles is a master digital printer, however I don't know whether he uses LF or not.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Dave Karp

Cramer is a LF photographer. I seem to recall seeing somewhere that he was investigating some sort of digital capture device, but at least most of the work that we know of has been done in LF and scanned. Here is a photo of him with a view camera, more photos and information on other parts of the site: http://www.charlescramer.com/pages/bio.html

For what its worth, I really like his work. He is my favorite color landscape photographer.

Dave Karp

Oops. Apparently he is now also using a Phase One P45 digital back: http://www.charlescramer.com/pages/classes.html

Eric Biggerstaff

I can highly recommend the workshops taught through the Ansel Adams gallery, they are very well run and the instructors are VERY good.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Kim Weston offers workshops. http://www.kimweston.com/

Much of what you are asking for is available at the View Camera conference in Louisville next June. The complete program is on our web site

www.viewcamera.com

The only thing we are not offering is the wet darkroom.

I am doing a 2 1/2 day worklshop in Monterey in early Sept. The emphasis will be on learning to use the camera, equipment choices, and exposure techniques.

steve simmons