Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best sunglasses for not making things look too good!?

Re: Best sunglasses for not making things look too good!?

I tend to like that false world of color. A little OT here: I was making a painting en plein aire and I am kind of known for my "vivid" use of color. A bystander said to me, "I don't see those colors in that scene". I turned to him and said, "don't you wish you could?"
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Living down here in Binghamton, I can honestly say I'd generally rather have a Polarizer+81B on the camera, than to turn down the colors to how they "truly are". Of course, I shoot mostly color, so this is a fair approach. In B&W a polarizer + #12/#15 is probably close. Now if I could only find a "de-rustbelt" filter.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Doesn't anyone make neutral gray lenses? Seems like that's all you need. Most lenses are some flavor of amber, to increase contrast in the shadows and make the world look better than it is, but I've seen some pretty neutral looking ones here and there.

Bausch & Lomb G-15. designed in the 1930's for neutrality. The quality is long gone now, but I believe the original B&L Ray-Bans were the first scientifically designed sunglasses.

I thought these American Optical aviators might be pretty good and they also support the military-industrial complex too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=3NRI14520HEVZ

Anybody ever have them?

if you got to sporty's, or any decent online pilot shop, you can get soem awfully nice sunglasses that are pretty neutral.

erie

Yo,

can't say for neutrality, but as a boatbuilder and liveaboard for thirty+ years, much of my time is spent around the water, so polarization and protection is important to me. The Maui Jims I have worn for three years have been by far the best-made, best-fitting, most robust, most scratch-resistant of all I've tried. Oh, and most expensive.

best, andy

THERE'S MORE TO OPTICS THAN MEETS THE EYE

The only time I've ever used any type of sunglasses when photographing is while skiing in snow. One of the greatest skills for an outdoor landscape photographer is having a high sensitivity to all manner of light and illumination. Even using neutral gray sunglasses reduces natural perception enough I'd rather not wear sunglasses. That said, as a frequent mountain backcountry explorer, I will readily wear sunglasses to protect my eyes midday when the sun is harsh while my camera is packed away. ...David

Sunglasses have become quite necessary. The damage from UV rays to the eyes can be quite severe and there have been elevated cases of eye tumors. if you work often at higher elevations, especially in the snow then anti UV sunglasses are a must.

If you want to have them match the tonal range of B&W film,bring a wratten 90 filter to the optometrist when you get your sunglasses made and try to match the color. I avoid polarized sunglasses because the polarization affect can really change the appearance of the light in a scene and creates the appearance of a more uneven sky.

Frank, granted that the skies and scene look so much better through sun glasses, mine have that same effect, but what you are usually seeing is the reduction of UV and blue from the scene, a look that you can then match to some degree with B&W filters. So in some ways the sunglasses are giving you a preview of what you can do to the scene. Why not just go with them?

Doug Dolde

I like my Revos. Just be sure you put a polarizer on the lens as well and youre good to go.