Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Gonzo Color"

Re: "Gonzo Color"

Thanks everybody for your helpful suggestions. I frankly don't think that it is a problem with the Zeiss lenses either but I had never heard of that explanation before. I do have the Gretag MacBeth Eye-One Match monitor calibrator installed and working. I also use adjustment layers, mainly "curves", in Photoshop so I am not irreversibly changing the original scan. One thing that I didn't mention that some of these images were taken in overcast conditions (actually, light rain) with a Singh Ray warming polarizer. Would the "warming" part ---I think it's equivalent to an 81A or B filter---make the greens more saturated? Also, I guess that I like the greens to "pop" a little as a matter of personal preference ("nothing in excess", though, as Socrates would add) regardless of what the purists might say. I will admit, however, that I am ratcheting back on the intensity of my prints and I suspect that this is not an uncommon situation among a lot of print makers.

Warming is appropriate in overcast conditions when the light is diffuse and blue. The polarization is what really reduces contrast and boosts the saturation. For a more natural look try rotating the polarizer somewhere short of full strength so you retain a small amount of reflected light.

It is well known that the Carl Zeiss T* coated lenses for the Contax range of 35mm SLRs, whilst exhibiting incredible definition and control of distortion and aberations, consistently produced images lacking colour depth and suffering a cool cast. This was seen across the whole lens range, so much so that they were not recommended for use with some of the older emulsions such as ektachrome which already had a muted colour palette and tendancy towards coolness. It was even apparent on the overblown emulsions such as Velvia 50. These characteristics were also reported by some to be present in the lenses for the G1 rangefinders.

This may have been due to the T*coating (which can look very very blue) and it would be interesting to see some comparisons between the Zeiss and Rollei produced lenses made for the Hassy and 6000 series.

Martin