Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film for Pyro Development for Alt Process

Film for Pyro Development for Alt Process

Hey guys,

I've been learning on (playing with) my large format camera with Efke PL100 film. I chose this film because it was my film of choice in medium format....I love the look of Efke film for standard silver gelatin prints. I was not disappointed with it in 11x14 sheets.

But the reason why I got the ULF camera was for alt processes. From what I have read, most of them (platinum, cyanotype, albumen, etc) benefit from a negative that has a bit higher density than is typical. Going on more from what I read: the way to get that kind of density is with Pyro developers.

Further research has uncovered that Efke films typically do not perform well with Pyro developers. Bummer.

So, my questions to this group are:
    1. What films respond best to Pyro Developers? (Let's use PMK as a start)
    2. With the film you suggest, what ratio or development times should I use to try to achieve a negative with adequate density?

I know that question 2 depends a lot on the exposure, the water temp, the acidity of the water, the phase of the moon, etc but I need a jumping off point. Any tips you can give would be helpful.

One idea I had was to take the first neg (of whatever type of film I try) to someplace like MV Labs and tell them I want a neg developed in pyro with a density of 1.8 (or whatever it is I need). At least then I might have a visual clue as to what my negatives should look like... What do you think?

Thanks!
    --A

Re: Film for Pyro Development for Alt Process

okay... I don't use it for alt processes, but my favourite developer for Efke PL100 in 4x5 and 8x10 is Pyrocat

what's the info you have for Efke films typically do not perform well with Pyro developers ?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Found this thread. I have found a few threads stating it's ok, but it seemed inconsistent compared to some of the more "mainstream" films... If you think it's something I should try, heck, I'll give it a go. It would kinda simplify my life a bit to have one film and two developer options.....

--A

They are perfectly good films. Efke 25 is still my film of choice. It's kind of weired reading stuff you posted 4 years ago.
    Give whatever you want to try a shot and you can work out any problems on the forums.

For alt processes, I don't recommend PMK. PMK generates a lot of background stain, which might enhance the grain masking effect for negs that are to be enlarged, but it doesn't help build contrast for alt processes.

I print albumen, and I use good ol' ABC pyro. I like the way it renders highlights, and it's easy to control, and it has a nice sharp look. The penalty is grain, but that's not a problem with contact prints or even small enlargements from negs developed to a density appropriate for enlargements.

For speed I use RAF pyro-metol, a formula designed by the Royal Air Force for reconnaisance photos. I've posted the formula in the formulas section on APUG, and you can find it in Haist and a few other places. The look is compatible with ABC.

Efke/Adox PL100 is an excellent film to use for this purpose. I also use Forte/J&C Classic 400 (with the recent Forte announcement, who knows for how much longer), and Tri-X.

A...I use Efke PL100 with 4x5,5x7 and 8x10 rated at 50, develope in Pyrocat 2+2+100 for 121/2 min at 72 F. Should state, that I use Beseler Print drums, and a Unicolor roller (which does reverse) and I have been quite happy with the way these print. Any problems I have had tend to be the person processing and not the process. Most of what I print is Plt/Pld, look here to get an idea of contrast range. A couple of the guys use Pyrocat-HD also, Matt does DBI.

Thanks lads. I'll try both ABC Pyro & Pyrocat. GREAT to hear it'll work with Efke.

David, as a sidenote, I'd love to see one of your albumen prints if you wouldn't mind dragging one to our Central Park event. In reading Christopher James' Alt Process book, albumen was the process that really got me excited and first made me interested in LF. Look forward to talking to you about it.

Cheers!
    --A

I've got a small album of 4x5" albumens that I can bring. See you there.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    For alt processes, I don't recommend PMK. PMK generates a lot of background stain, which might enhance the grain masking effect for negs that are to be enlarged, but it doesn't help build contrast for alt processes.
    Hey David (& Co.),

I just got some PMK for Xmas. After re-reading this thread, I noticed this comment. Should I return it and order the WD2D+ instead? I didn't see ABC for sale at Freestyle. I wanted to try a Pyro formula explicitly for alt. process, and per your comment above, this would not be my solution...

Thanks!
    --A

PMK is a good developer for smaller format films. I like it for 6x6 and 35mm and occasionally a bit larger.

I haven't used WD2D+. You could mix your own ABC from bulk chemicals. If you're using these kinds of developers anyway, it makes sense to keep the ingredients on hand, experiment with a few different formulas until you settle on the one you like, and then mix it as you need it. Since the sulfite solution can go bad, for instance, with ABC, I generally mix it more frequently in a smaller bottle than the A and C solutions.