Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Humboldt County

Re: Hello from Humboldt County

Go to your room and never let me ever hear of you doing anything like that again!!!!

--I must be a parent!

An interesting crop -- it does emphasize a different aspect of the image...particularity the shape of the branches echoed by the pattern in the rock. I worked with a square format for a long time (Rolleiflex TLR) and I do like the square. I don't think your particular cropping works quite as well for me as the full-frame composition (which has a calm but at the same time dramatic, balence between the thirds). I do not get the sense of circular movement I would like to get within the square with this image. Cropping out part of the Pine just does not work for me...just as one has to be careful about where one crops a figure study.

But then I am a bit close (biased) to the image and to the how and the why it way taken and composed as it was. I do no cropping when I print -- it is part of the art of seeing I am trying to learn. I am up to further discussion if you wish.

vaughn

I'd buy a print if you wrap it in some of that nice Humboldt produce. You know, buy locally, ship globally...

Now that I have a look, I think you're right about the original composition. My cropping ended up in something rather shallow in comparison.

Perhaps because of the black border, and the fact that the image presents flush-left when you click on the thumbnail, I couldn't appreciate the original composition.

Thanks for your good humor about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I'd buy a print if you wrap it in some of that nice Humboldt produce. You know, buy locally, ship globally...
    And then when you receive the print you can say "This print stinks, but I like it!"

Vaughn

Welcome Vaughn,

Darn I thought you are in Humboldt county, Iowa. No many LF photographers out here in the heartland.

Jackie

QUOTE=Ken Lee "Thanks for your good humor about this."

I take my photography seriously -- I just try not to take myself too seriously.

Put it behind an 8-ply 16x20 mat with a black frame and it changes again. I do include a little of the black border all the way around the image.

The image also appeared on the front of the visitor info the Park hands out to visitors as they enter Yosemite last summer -- so it was seen by hundreds of thousands (?) of people on newsprint, about an inch and a half wide and printed at an angle. Maybe it got a few of those people into the museum gallery there to see the real thing. I got a couple copies for my mother...not exactly like appearing on the cover of the Rolling Stone, but what the hell...

Here is the image cropped into a square, just a little differently than you did...I works a bit better for me.

Vaughn

Anyway you print it Vaughan, it works!

Hi Vaughn, welcome from Hawaii.

I like what's going on in the top left...

You guys are getting me all confused now!