Thread: Help: Customs duties importing from Japan

Help: Customs duties importing from Japan

I have a friend in Japan who can buy a camera and ship it to me in the US.

Would someone who has imported camera gear from Japan let me know what the import duty was and if there were any hassles or pitfalls and what is the best way to ship.

I have imported from Europe before and it was painless, I imagine Japan should be no problem but I would appreciate a heads up if there is anything I should be aware of beforehand.

Zebra

Re: Help: Customs duties importing from Japan

View Cameras are supposed to be duty free from my understanding. I have an old email somewhere that list the tariff code number that states view camera's are not supposed to be imposed a import duty. If you want to email me off line I can look it up and give it to you so that you have it handy if need be. Of course if the camera you are talking about is not a view camera then it wouldn't apply. Its been a couple of years so I hope that information is still accurate. I had a 20 x 24 shipped from Japan and pain no duty on it, but like I said its been a couple of years.

Best,

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    View Cameras are supposed to be duty free from my understanding. I have an old email somewhere that list the tariff code number that states view camera's are not supposed to be imposed a import duty. If you want to email me off line I can look it up and give it to you so that you have it handy if need be. Of course if the camera you are talking about is not a view camera then it wouldn't apply. Its been a couple of years so I hope that information is still accurate. I had a 20 x 24 shipped from Japan and pain no duty on it, but like I said its been a couple of years.

Best,

Monty
    Thanks Monty. Actually it is a 6x7, so the duty should be around 2.7%, if they use the correct tarif code.

I just want to see if there is anything that I should do differently for an import from Japan than from Europe etc. I don't think so, but I thought I would post just in case, as there is so much experience on this forum.

Though, Monty, others may find the tariff code usefull down the road, I know if I were ever going to import a view camera from japan, I'd want to have the correct "duty free" tariff code.

erie

Ron,

Should not be a problem at all. I ship alot of camera stuff back to the states. I know many consider it dishonest, just have it marked as a used gift. I have never had anyone back home pay any duties on "used" camera gear.

If its labeled as new you will may have to pay duty anything over 500USD, but then the rate would be 2.5 to 3 percent if I recall correctly.

Hope it helps.

Gary

I've no experience but think it's duty-free.

Here's the 2006 USITC database: http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/tariff2006.asp.
    Type in "camera" and hit "List_items." From the list, 6x7 seems to fall in (scroll way down):
    "90065990.--Photographic cameras, other than fixed focus, valued over $10 each, nesi--01/01/1999".
    The details say the tax rate is "Free" if incoming from countries with Normal Trade Relations (for U.S. it's just about everyone except N. Korea and Cuba). I don't know if there's any complication with commercial vs. personal import. To make sure there is a link to customs offices from the above link.

"The U.S. Customs Service interprets" what the goods are, so it may be a good idea to ask your friend to write the HTS# (90065990) on the customs form to give them a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Smith View Post
    Ron,

Should not be a problem at all. I ship alot of camera stuff back to the states. I know many consider it dishonest, just have it marked as a used gift. I have never had anyone back home pay any duties on "used" camera gear.

Gary
    Thanks for the help Gary.

Is it better to send it by mail or by courrier, and if so which do you recommend?

Smile Re: Help: Customs duties importing from Japan

Gary;

Oops! You have caused my demon English major to escape:

It is axiomatic that lying is dishonest.

We can get into a long philosophical debate about the morality of tax avoidance.

However, as I remember from history class, while some make the argument that income tax is unconstitutional, I believe duties are provided for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post

Is it better to send it by mail or by courrier, and if so which do you recommend?
    The courier service will charge a large fee for customs brokerage services. The post office won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post

Ron,

For all my shipping I use just normal EMS (Global Express is what the US post office calls it). For that camera probably about 40.00 to 50.00 insured to the states. Any courier service, ie UPS or DHL is going to run at double to three times that in my experience. And then you are much more likely to get charged an additional brockerage fees on top of that.

EMS is the way to go.

Hope it helps.

Gary