Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Century "Semi-Centennial" stand

The Century "Semi-Centennial" stand

I have recently purchased at auction a Century 10A Studio Camera (8x10 format) (Folmer & Schwing Department, Eastman Kodak Company) with a 1A Semi-Centennial stand (same manufacture). The latter is a lovely two-post elevator stand with a handwheel/crank elevator control. It is very similar to the Century Master Stand, which is however slightly different in design in a few places (slightly less elegant, in Carla's opinion, and it was her enthusiasm for the 1A stand that propelled this acquisition in the first place).

I am totally baffled by the "Semi-Centennial" designation of the stand. Research so far suggests that this stand was introduced, under that name, very early in the 20th century (perhaps even before the Century Camera Company was absorbed by Eastman Kodak in 1907, or in any case liklely shortly thereafter).

Does anyone know the basis for that name?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Re: The Century "Semi-Centennial" stand

Got Photo's?

I always thought that these stands were intro'd in 1933 50 years after the founding hence semi Centennial.

Hi, Jim,

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I always thought that these stands were intro'd in 1933 50 years after the founding hence semi Centennial.
    I may in fact be in error regarding the date of appearance of the stand. I need to re-consult my reference materials.

But in any case, Century Camera Company was founded in (duh!) 1900 so that doesn't really work out. Or are we speaking of the founding of EKC?

Here is a fabulous catalog etching of the stand:

(I have to reconstruct what catalog it came from!)

Here is our stand (seller's pic):

As seen here, it is missing the pyramidal iron finials from the top of the posts; these have been located and replaced.

The camera shown here is a Century Studio Camera 9A but with half of the bellows and the intermediate bellows frame (at the front of the bed extension) missing.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Best regards,

Doug

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Kerr View Post
    ...pyramidal iron finials... have been located and replaced.
    Lucky you!

Hi, Will,

Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker View Post
    Lucky you!
    The seller has a bunch of this stuff, and has been very accomodating.

Best regards,

Doug

Here is a historical reference indicating the appearance of the Semi-Centennial stand early in the 20th century:

http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bi...ogin=century_7

Maybe the moniker "Semi-Centennial" is meant to honor the 50th anniversary of 1852.

Herfe is the No 2 version (longer "table") under a Century No. 8 (11x14):

http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bi...ogin=century_8

Note that these became the "1A" and "2A" when they took on the "dark" finish (like the "D" suffix for the Eastman View No. 2(-D).

Best regards,

Doug

I just got one of these babies too! Am in the process of getting a removable front lensboard panel made that can accomodate Deardoff lensboards, so I can swap lenses.

If you don't mind my asking, can you tell me what the stand sold for? I am in teh process of selling some of my father's and grandfather's equipment which includes 2 stands. One of the stands matches a Century 8x10 format Graflex camera and I am uncertain of the value of both.

Also, due to space considerations, would it be stupid to sell the stand by itself?

I recently acquired a similar set up. A 10A with a Dallmeyer 3A lens, 8x10 and 5x7 sliding back, a spare lens board cut for I'm not sure what and the stand. My stand appears to have a more extended iron base that goes out to the same depth as the angle crank. Yours appears to be shorter, or is it the angle of the photo?

I have the Century Semi Centennial Camera Stand #1 but it has higher posts than shown above. It's posts have a second section 24" section that makes the total stand height about 6'. I have attached a link with a little more info on the Century Camera Company for those interested.
    http://www.photica.net/Photica/studio_cameras.htm

Gord