Thread: Microtek i900

Confidently Agnostic!

Microtek i900

I know this has been rehashed to death, and that everybody has an opinion but nobody can really provide a definitive answer, but I was all set to buy a V750 (after considering the 4990 for quite awhile) and then I got thinking about other brand options and looked into the i900. I'm not sure about the specs (I think the nominal resolution is lower) but what sounded appealing was the direct emulsion scan. I'm not sure I'd want to mess with fluid mounting, so I'd be doing dry scans on the V750. Would I be better off with the i900 because of this glass-less scanning capability?

Also, how does the output of a scanner like this compare to something like an 8 megapixel digital SLR? I've taken decent photographs of my negatives with a canon 350D / rebel XT on a makeshift lightbox setup, but I want more tonal detail and resolution for big prints. Will any flatbed give this to me?

The price isn't a big concern (though I can't afford anything more than one of these V750-range consumer flatbeds - I don't mind paying $200 more or less).

I'll be mostly scanning B&W negatives right now, but I think I'm going to start shooting more velvia transparencies (which I've heard can suffer from poor shadow detail in scans, though I have no feeling for how bad this actually is in practice).

Re: Microtek i900

Hi Walter,

I own the i900 which I use it to scan mostly large format black and white negatives, 4 x 5 and bigger, I'm happy with the results. You don't say what size of negatives you are planning to scan, but if its 35mm size I would recomend a 35mm dedicated scanner.

Gary

If you are considering getting an i900 for scanning anything larger than 4x5, be aware that the 8x10 transparency tray is quite prone to newton rings. You'll have to use antinewton glass which is expensive, or antinewton spray, which I've just started using and find to be a bit of a pain.

W.

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Nylander View Post
    Hi Walter,

I own the i900 which I use it to scan mostly large format black and white negatives, 4 x 5 and bigger, I'm happy with the results. You don't say what size of negatives you are planning to scan, but if its 35mm size I would recomend a 35mm dedicated scanner.

Gary
    This is for 4x5 and a bit of 6x6 (and maybe the odd 35mm, but that's a bonus).

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by william linne View Post
    If you are considering getting an i900 for scanning anything larger than 4x5, be aware that the 8x10 transparency tray is quite prone to newton rings.
    So is it better to scan through glass, as per the epson?

W. .... I have never had that problem with the 1800f which is basically the same design. Since the scanning path is above the glass, not below it you shouldn't have a problem if you make sure your transparency iso flat. While a fluid mount will gie you a better scan you can do quite well by just taping it down with blue painter's tape.

As for which gives you the better scan there is not much difference ut the 4990 is a generation newer than the i900. The i900 will be discontinued sometime in the next two months when the M1 scanner is released.