Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Gitzos Rock

The New Gitzos Rock

I think I got one of the first new Gitzos -- the GT3540XLS 6x CF -- 4 section, 78" tall.

I just set my Sinar on it and it feels as solid as the giant 1504 I used to have. I swear I could climb this tripod and sit on top, just like Lester Bogen (but I weigh 230# and this tripod is under 5#.)

If you hated the old screw clamp legs the new ones are much nicer and faster too. Very secure.

I've always had metal Gitzos but I can already tell this is going to be even more stable and damp -- less springy. I'm very impressed by it!

Re: The New Gitzos Rock

The one thing I'm bummed about is that they don't make a three section version in the 3 series that's tall enough. If you choose the GT-3530 it's only 132cm tall without the center column, and I don't believe they are making a GT-3530L version. You have to go for a four section tripod if you want the height.

Glad you like it, I'm sure it will do really well for you.

I saw some of the newest versions of the Gitzo Carbon Fiber Tripods at Photo Plus in NY City in November. The new features were a nice improvement. But, not enough for me to replace my year old 1257LVL 6X tripod that I like very much.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N View Post
    The one thing I'm bummed about is that they don't make a three section version in the 3 series that's tall enough. If you choose the GT-3530 it's only 132cm tall without the center column, and I don't believe they are making a GT-3530L version. You have to go for a four section tripod if you want the height...
    When Frank started this thread I went back to the Gitzo site to research your very concern -- it's mine too.

What I think we want is a GT3530LSV. Specified maximum height is 148cm / 58.3 in., just right for me. Gitzo's page is a bit sketchy, but I think as a video version this comes with a 75mm bowl adapter. Should be easy enough to replace with a flat plate, since the entire series' yokes appear to clamp plates, column assemblies or bowl adapters interchangeably, just as the former Mountaineers did.

B&H lists the GT3530LSV at $649.95 and states they are "Accepting Orders." The Gitzo page doesn't have an image of this tripod yet, so I assume it will take a little longer before we can see one and determine whether my suppositions are correct.

I'll be curious about that as well. Don't the video series of tripods come equipped with spiked feet as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon N View Post
    I'll be curious about that as well. Don't the video series of tripods come equipped with spiked feet as well?
    The entire 6X series has removable rubber feet that can be replaced with accessory spikes.

Just found this page

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/pr...?productid=202

that confirms my guesses and notes that both bowl adapter and flat plate are included at the same price B&H asks. No mention of spikes, so I guess they'll be optional even on video versions.

The one I got -- extra tall 4 section -- works pretty much like a 1325 if you just use the top three sections. I suppose if you were a real weight shaver, having an extra 20 inches of tripod height/weight (? 10-14 oz.?) in reserve would be burdensome, but if you are that persnickety then you probably should be looking at the 2-series anyway.

Of course the extra sections add $100 or so to the cost.

The specs on the NatureScapes site show the new GT-3530LSV being exactly the same height extended and folded as the G1325, so I imagine that tripod is the same layout and dimensions.

The differences appear to be just the upgrades of the new series tripods - the 6x Carbon fiber tubes, replaceable feet, Anti-Rotation legs, G-Lock leg system (20% stiffer?), and a weight capacity rating 15lbs higher than the G1325 despite a 1/2 lb lighter overall weight.

The anti-rotation legs and lighter weight are the most appealing features, but I'm not sure if it's worth the $250 it would cost me to upgrade from my 1325. Food for thought....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The New Gitzos Rock
    A play on words, I suppose

I was hoping - for the sake of my budget and new 1348 - that the early reports would be dismal.

Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I think I got one of the first new Gitzos -- the GT3540XLS 6x CF -- 4 section, 78" tall.

I just set my Sinar on it and it feels as solid as the giant 1504 I used to have. I swear I could climb this tripod and sit on top, just like Lester Bogen (but I weigh 230# and this tripod is under 5#.)

If you hated the old screw clamp legs the new ones are much nicer and faster too. Very secure.

I've always had metal Gitzos but I can already tell this is going to be even more stable and damp -- less springy. I'm very impressed by it!
    Hi,
    Who did you purchase it from??...Thanks, Evan Clarke