Thread: Pro Photo RGB question

Pro Photo RGB question

What do you make of this statement:

"Of the Space selections available [for ACR conversion], Pro Photo RGB has much to offer in 16 bit workflows, but until the vexing problem of the corruption of 8-bit files is solved with Pro Photo RGB, it is best to stay with the standard Adobe RGB 1998 color space." from the new Digital Photography: Fine Print Workshop.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Pro Photo RGB question

Since I have worked with ProPhotoRGB for over six years, I would be an opposing viewpoint on using it. However, I should probably point out that I also have been doing my own RGB to CMYK conversions for publication usage for over twelve years (starting in college). As I recall, there seems to sometimes be an issue with the Epson interpolation of ProPhotoRGB that can sometimes cause unexpected results in the final print, though it seems to me to be a rare issue that is mostly a result of feeding these RGB files to the printer (as opposed to running a RIP).

If it is for sending files out to a publication, and letting them do the RGB to CMYK conversion, then ProPhotoRGB might be more troublesome. You need to check with the printing place or publication to see if they understand how (or want) to work with ProPhotoRGB files space. Many places will be much more familiar with AdobeRGB, which will be easier to avoid some clipping or out of gamut issues.

The reasons we have editing choices and different workflows is that some will be easier for some people to create consistant results. There really is no such thing as only one solution; if there were, then we would not have as many choices as we now enjoy. In the end, the best tool to make a decision is to try out a few different workflow choices, have them printed, then decide which you are more comfortable using to get consistant results.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Re: Pro Photo RGB question

I send 16-bit Pro RGB files to my Epsons all the time -- and so far without any issues. I do not however use ProRGB in 8-bit mode for editing -- it is too large a space to work effectively in 8-bit -- so if I'm going to work in 8-bit, I convert to Adobe RGB first.

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com