Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Film Holder Suggestions

Re: Film Holder Suggestions

I have access to a lab and a tech to do the printing for me...... for cheap and since I'm not really trying to make perfect shots but learn the style more if they mess up a couple I have no problems with that. Once I get the style down and don't out of focus every other shot then I will go for a pro lab.

I would think a roll film holder might work a little better, especially with you using the rangefinder for focus. With a 6x7 holder, you can get 10 shots per roll on 120 film. Sure, the film are is smaller than 4x5, but still quite a good size to make prints. If you can find a back that allows you to use 220 roll film, and if your favourite film is available in that size, then you can get 20 shots per roll. Find one with a lever film advance, and you can be quite fast from one shot to the next.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Sounguru View Post
    I am playing around with running the speed graphic like the old press protographers did. So alot of hand held and on the go type shooting.

One of my goals is to shoot people in downtown seattle. I rarely use the back for focus but use the rangefinder instead. John the gentleman who sold me the cameras showed me the setup he used to use when shooting new articles so I'm trying to perfect that style. I always loved the old press shoots. I'm even trying to rebuild the flash and get it up and running.

So having alot of film on hand is a must. Basing off what John said he ran in a weekend of good news events

On the view graphic if I shoot more than 20 it will be a miracle since it is a monorail and takes alot more time.

You can skip the focus issue altogether if you really use the camera like the press photographers did, using the hyperfocal distance focusing method.

There was a site somewhere that provided the necessary dof data for various lenses/formats...

For running around you should get a Grafmatic film holder, six sheets per holder:

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/grafmatic/

I am playing around with running the speed graphic like the old press protographers did. So alot of hand held and on the go type shooting.

One of my goals is to shoot people in downtown seattle. I rarely use the back for focus but use the rangefinder instead. John the gentleman who sold me the cameras showed me the setup he used to use when shooting new articles so I'm trying to perfect that style. I always loved the old press shoots. I'm even trying to rebuild the flash and get it up and running.

So having alot of film on hand is a must. Basing off what John said he ran in a weekend of good news events

On the view graphic if I shoot more than 20 it will be a miracle since it is a monorail and takes alot more time.

sweet thanks Ron

I'm so glad that you are shooting film. What the world needs is a few more photographers that shoot 300 sheets of film in a weekend. That ought to keep film alive for a while. Go man, Go!

Confidently Agnostic!

150 holders? You should try one of the new fangled cameras that somehow puts 150-300 fairly high detail images on a single little 1.5" square of plastic - I think they call them Compact Flash cards or something. I'm not sure what kind of camera takes them - maybe Ebony? I hear they're really good.

Otherwise maybe consider quickloads or readyloads.

Seriously though, you say you're still trying to learn the style. The secret to learning the style is to SLOW DOWN. I came back from a 2 week vacation with about 30 shots and 90% of them were better than I typically get working quickly with my digital SLR. The secret was that I was inhibited from shooting because I only carry 7 film holders, so I really had to carefully consider my priorities and take a lot of care while setting up shots.

If you still think you need 150 holders, the cheapest way is probably ebay, though you're not necessarily guaranteed good condition. 150 holders new would run you about $9000 at $50 per pair. You might get a volume discount if you call up Badger graphic though with that kind of order. But honestly, I think you'll be missing out on one of the better qualities of this type of photography if you try to overdo it like that. You can learn more by going out with your camera and NO film than going out with 300 sheets.

Still, as was pointed out, I have no reason to discourage you from becoming a high volume shooter - I depend on film sales for access to film myself, so if you can start buying tons of the stuff it's all good. Get about 20 likeminded friends into this as well

Confidently Agnostic!

Wife wanted to kill me when I shot a case of 35 velvia 50 in a weekend.
    Hah, and I thought my hobbies were expensive..

I would bet that by the first time you have reloaded 150 holders after one of your super days on the streets, you will see the unpleasantness of reloading in a whole other light. If you shoot that much film you will have ample opportunity to becoming really fast loading and unloading film even in the field with change bags. The more film you load the more automatic and easier it becomes. Just like humans on some manufacturing assembly line or tying your shoes. At first we all have trouble clumsily slipping film into the grooves on holders while grappling with the holder doors but these days for me film goes right in in one quick smooth push 80% of the time. Like my hands have learned the correct finger orientations, wrist articulation, and motion. Don't ask me what I do as I could not relate such with words. ...David

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

How much does one 4x5" holder weigh?

I don't actually know the answer, but I know that I wouldn't want to carry 150 holders. Not to mention loading and unloading them, keeping track of the negatives, getting everything developed while still knowing which negative is which, an which holder it was in, and - is that 80 holders with exposed film, or is it the 70 holders with unexposed film???

10 holders is about the practical limit for me. If I need to bring more holders, I supplement with 10 9x12cm holders. I always bring a changing bag and extra film.