Thread: Is what I'm seeing true..

Is what I'm seeing true..

Okay I have stumbled across a Baby Deardorff in 8.5 - 9 condition. Is $4500 the going price on this camera? If so I will get to cry as I watch it get sold by someone who has no real knowledge or love of cameras..... It is out of my price range

(at least I got to hold it)

Re: Is what I'm seeing true..

Hi Sounguru,

A Signature Convertible 5x7/4x5, 1 4x4 SC lensboards, as a package, and 1 reversible back (either 5x7/4x5) sells for $2,575.00 from D.P.P.I.

A 5x7/4x5 Signature Convertible package with 2 reversible backs: 5x7 & 5x7/4x5 and 2 4x4 SC lensboards sells for $2,995.00

These numbers are from their price list dated 10-1-05.

I bought mine with both a 5x7 and a 4x5 back (restored by Ken Hough) for $1875 a few years back.

So, if they're selling for $4500... I'll have to consider selling mine!

There may be some other reason for the camera to have sold for that much. I can't think of any reasons off-hand though!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

If what you were looking at and holding was an actual "Baby" Deardorff, then the maximum size holder you could ever use with it is 4x5. This is not to be confused with the 45 Special or the 5x7, which were essentially the same camera, just offered with either a 4x5 or 5x7 back and with different nameplates. As I understand it, the "Baby" got created as a special consignment by an individual who wanted to shoot with the largest sheet film allowed at the World's Fair many decades ago. There was a rule in place that only professional photographers who paid some fee or were connected with the fair could use 4x5 and larger formats at this event (or some such restriction, as I recall) and so this fellow wanted the Deardorffs to make him a slightly smaller camera (3-1/4 x 4-1/4?). It was never finished in time for the Fair and since it made more sense to sell this as a 4x5 camera, they did so. Not that many were made in comparison to the 45 Special and hence, the rarity. I got a chance to see one that was very nicely restored and it was kind of neat, but for a working photographer, $4500 could buy you any number of very lightweight, compact cameras and much of what else you would require to make pictures. It think this is pretty much collector fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner View Post
    If what you were looking at and holding was an actual "Baby" Deardorff, then the maximum size holder you could ever use with it is 4x5. This is not to be confused with the 45 Special or the 5x7, which were essentially the same camera, just offered with either a 4x5 or 5x7 back and with different nameplates. As I understand it, the "Baby" got created as a special consignment by an individual who wanted to shoot with the largest sheet film allowed at the World's Fair many decades ago. There was a rule in place that only professional photographers who paid some fee or were connected with the fair could use 4x5 and larger formats at this event (or some such restriction, as I recall) and so this fellow wanted the Deardorffs to make him a slightly smaller camera (3-1/4 x 4-1/4?). It was never finished in time for the Fair and since it made more sense to sell this as a 4x5 camera, they did so. Not that many were made in comparison to the 45 Special and hence, the rarity. I got a chance to see one that was very nicely restored and it was kind of neat, but for a working photographer, $4500 could buy you any number of very lightweight, compact cameras and much of what else you would require to make pictures. It think this is pretty much collector fare.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the information... interesting history with these Dorffs!

I certainly agree with you... $4500 can buy a LOT of other goodies such as film and a Sherpa to haul your gear around!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

D.P.P.I. doesn't have a good reputation for delivery. Only a very few cameras have actually been seen, and those were "specials".

Steve

I'm gonna have him bring the camera back in and give it a once over now that I have had a little more edumacation on the cameras and make sure it is what I think it is.

I've got an extra (weird to be saying that) Deardorff 5x7/4x5 if that's the camera you're interested in....

I collect cameras and restore them to working order if pos. But I can not afford to buy them at this time.

Thanks for the offer but I'm sure it is out of my league.