Thread: Hello folks......

Hello folks......

Hello folks I just found this site and it looks to be wealth of information which I could really use at this time...

I have kind of stumbled and I do mean that be the literal sense into large format photography. I recently aquired 2 cameras that I have only shot about 20 frames on but I am now determined to learn. I have a Speed Graphic and a View Graphic both 4x5. I aquired these from an old press photograpgher for $200 and I have to say they both are in excellent condition. I also aquired 3 lenses 40 film holders the cases they came in and a bunch of filters. Also included was the medium format and polaroid backs. Now having no idea on how to use these things this upcoming summer is gonna be a blast.....

Now on to what really drove me here.....

I work in a camera store I will admit it is a large chain no shame there since it is the only one for 80+ miles in any direction. In my line of work I have customers come in with stuff they have found in the attic, grandma's underwear drawer etc. That was how I acquired my Large format cameras he just wanted to make sure they got used.

Today I had a customer come in with what I think maybe the find of the century for him and I happen to be way to honest and honorable to try and talk him out of it....

He bought a storage slot that was abondened for $250 and inside was a twin lens rollieflex and the motherload (if what I'm seeing is right) a Deardorff Baby. I rate this camera a 8.5 -9 on condition scale and all functions work with no light leaks. He may have lenses and film holders also but I am waiting to see if he brings them into verify that they go to this camera. This is not the wood rail version but the later part of the production run.

My ? to you folks is $4500 the going price on the Baby Deardorff?

Please help I want to get this gentleman a good ballpark figure so I can cry as he puts it up for sale since it is out of my league in price......(at least I got to hold it )

Now I shall go wander the rest of the areas of this board......

Re: Hello folks......

Quote Originally Posted by Sounguru View Post
    Hello folks I just found this site and it looks to be wealth of information which I could really use at this time...

I have kind of stumbled and I do mean that be the literal sense into large format photography. I recently aquired 2 cameras that I have only shot about 20 frames on but I am now determined to learn. I have a Speed Graphic and a View Graphic both 4x5. I aquired these from an old press photograpgher for $200 and I have to say they both are in excellent condition. I also aquired 3 lenses 40 film holders the cases they came in and a bunch of filters. Also included was the medium format and polaroid backs. Now having no idea on how to use these things this upcoming summer is gonna be a blast.....

My ? to you folks is $4500 the going price on the Baby Deardorff?

Greetings Sounguru,

Firstly, welcome to the board... there's lots of really great people here who are more than happy to give you as much help as you need in your journey of learning how to use a LF camera.

Do some reading... IMHO, the following books are a must-read:

a) Large-Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

b) Using the View Camera by Steve-Simmons

c) Users Guide To The View Camera - by Jim Stone (Look for the 2nd edition since it's more readily accessible and is less expensive.... and better printed too!)

d) The Sinar series of books are also very good.

With regards to your question... IMHO, $4,500 is way too high for this camera. See my note on your other posting.

As I said, I bought mine for far less with both backs and it was totally restored to a "like-new-condition."

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Thanks for the book suggestions ..

Wecome!

Good job to have!

Has it decided yet if it is a Baby Deardorf or the Special? My first camera was a Indian knock-off of a Special (called a Rahja, or something like that). I eventually found a used Deardorf 5x7 back to put on it.

I have worked with a Graphic View, also -- nice older 4x5's! In fact, we have one here at the university we still check out to students.

Vaughn

I think it is gonna be a Special but I'm waiting on the guy to come back in the # he gave me has become disconnected.

Regardless of what happens with your customer's Deardorff, welcome to the forum.