Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Toyo 5x7 Film Holders

Re: Toyo 5x7 Film Holders

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    Yep, got a bag bellows that smells like that. From the US!...
    And where did the US bellows manufacturer source its fabric?

I'm not sure I do, but we should know about the here-and-now next week, maybe. I think at $80 per holder the order would have gone.

Cheers, Steve
    Well I wonder whether the problem was that one, if not two, middlemen got involved in the transaction, and that the price doubled or more. Given what Gary Smith said from Japan about probable price, one as got to ask whether this is what pulled the legs out from under the transaction.

I'm interested in buying 5x7 Toyo holders, but not if the price is going to go up 100% or more because somebody has decided to do the deal through a middleman, especially if it is efectively a co-op order on a product that is otherwise unavailable.

With the greatest respect, given that the first order fell apart due to price, why are people talking to a middleman instead of directly to Toyo?

I really don't understand why someone can't just talk with Toyo or Sakai, either in person or over Skype (not available last time around) and get various prices tied to the number of orders. If someone can give me the phone number, and if Toyo has people who are fluent in English, I'm prepared to make the call myself, although it might be preferable if the call was made by someone in Japan, or fluent in Japanese, or who uses their cameras. As for Sakai, a quick Internet check suggests, rightly or wrongly, that it may be based in South Korea.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    As for Sakai, a quick Internet check suggests, rightly or wrongly, that it may be based in South Korea.
    Headquarters is in Osaka:

http://www.toyoview.co.jp/sub1.html

Yes, it would be preferable for someone local, fluent in Japanese, to be an intermediary.

If you explore the links on the left, you'll see that the product line is primarily machine tools, not cameras.

Cool Re: Toyo 5x7 Film Holders

I no longer shoot enough LF to justify any new stuff. I can't believe it was 4 years!

They've never made them in modern times in the current style. Maybe not at all. I seem to remember 5x7 Toyos of the Rittreck-era, with a cast or stamped aluminum light trap housing. I also seem to remember that there was something dimensionally different about them too. But I don't vouch for any of this.
    I was looking for a long-lost Heliopan step-down ring last night, and in desperation I looked in my boxes of sheet holders (disused since stepping "down", temporarily I hope, to 612 and 617; since a new child). I found four Toyo WP holders and they are indeed wooden with metal trim. They're the same size as my modern S&S WP holders, but they do look remarkably like the Rittreck holders (WP? 5x7?) I used to have when I owned one of those beast cameras.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
    I found four Toyo WP holders and they are indeed wooden with metal trim. They're the same size as my modern S&S WP holders, but they do look remarkably like the Rittreck holders (WP? 5x7?) I used to have when I owned one of those beast cameras.
    The Rittreck WP holders were made - or at least branded - by Tachihara. The dimensions are different from those of vintage Eastman or modern Chamonix holders, and they're not fully interchangeable.

Anyway, if Toyo 5x7 holders exist, I'd speculate that they're in the same style as your Toyo WP holders. I wonder whether Toyo made half-plate holders for their metal field camera whose "native" format was 4 3/4 x 6 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I wonder whether Toyo made half-plate holders for their metal field camera whose "native" format was 4 3/4 x 6 1/2.
    Indeed they did.

They made non standard half plate holders that were much more compact and lighter than standard 5x7 size half plate holders. A perfect match for their light and compact camera.