Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: movies influencing photography

Re: movies influencing photography

Also, think of all the folks who went out and got a camera after seeing Antonioni's Blowup in 1966. Again a film I have never seen offered on Cable.

Sergio Leones "The good, the bad, the ugly" and "Once upon a time in the west", simply great, bold images.
    "Hero" with Jet Li had phantastic, surreal images.
    Recently "SinCity", "O brother where arth thou" from the Coen brothers.

But what is it about these films that changed you outlook? Was it the use of camera angles? Color? Atmosphere? Landscape? Or Hero-worship?

It seems like whenever there is a popular movie or television series featuring a profession, the number of college majors in that field jump disproportionately.

In the not too distant future I predict we'll see a disproportional number of college trained Crime Scene Investigators waiting on tables, washing cars, and selling Slim Jims at convenience stores
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Helen et al,

What do you think of Carlos Reygadas (or his cinemaphotographer - I'm not sure who it is)?

Sven Nyquist should probably be mentioned if he hasn't been. I also am a big admirer of Roger Deakins ("O Brother Where Art Thou").

And of course Asakazu Naki, my favorite cameraman ever :-)

Thanks,

Will

I am the antithesis of that Norman Wisdom character who could recite the credits from every film he had ever watched. I forget the character names and the title, never mind the director, cinematographer or costume designer.

That said, there are a few films that have inspired me, not in the sense of having a visual style that I wanted to adopt or borrow from, but because they had a distinct look that contributed to how I remembered, thought about or simply enjoyed the result. Off the top of my head:

Ryan's Daughter, Ran, Delicatessen, Down by Law, Koyaanisqatsi.

Also, a lot of childrens' animation: I love the way a good illustrator can create a comprehensible and self-consistent world that is remarkably foreign and abstract when you step back and think about it instead of just looking.

Struan, does the good animation include Godzilla meets Bambi? I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Struan, does the good animation include Godzilla meets Bambi? I couldn't resist.
    Ted,

You mean this???

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...09875781837645

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

This thread is right up my alley. I'm a film camera assistant and aspiring director of photography.

I'm very influenced by the styles of Conrad Hall (Road to Perdition, American Beauty, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid), Roger Deakins (Jarhead, Coen bros movies), Stanley Kubrick (everything, really, but esp. The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, and Paths to Glory) , Gordon Willis (Manhattan, Zelig, and the Godfather), Freddy Young (Lawrence of Arabia), Matty Libatique (Pi and The Fountain), and David Mullen (for his wonderful advice to me and his work on Northfork)

Edit: I forgot Kazuo Miyagawa. I know I can't list everyone or every movie that has helped shape my visual and storytelling sense but Miyagawa's compositional eye really helped train my own. His compositions are graceful but also unconventional, and sometimes awkward or ugly, but always with reason.

Rich, that's it but I like this one a whole lot more http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...34523614716908

Hi Ted,

I saw that one too, but the other is the original. There is always something about an original.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com