Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Must-Have Magazine

The New Must-Have Magazine

Have you all seen this? Darkroom Magazine

Re: The New Must-Have Magazine

Scott Kelby gets my award for the daftest, most misleading, name for a magazine.

Hmmmmm, seems to be a contradiction there!

Dave

Probably couldn't use "Lightroom" for copywrite reasons.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Now THAT'S disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    Now THAT'S disappointing.
    Why?

IMHO a publication entitled "Darkroom Magazine" should be about, ummmm...........darkroom stuff. Go figure.

Depends on one's perspective and field of focus, I guess.

There was a long legal battle between the Beatles and the Apple Computer Inc. about the usage of the name "Apple", for example.

Personally, I find it a very clever naming, since the magazine is aimed very specifically at the Lightroom users. I don't see anythng wrong or dissapointing there.

Well, maybe that's because I don't feel threatened by it either. I'm pretty secure in my Photoshop, I don't need no Lightroom.

Reminds me of why I quit NAPP. Unfortunately there is a great mass of people wanting to read just this type of information, though personally I feel these magazines should be in the computer section of the newsstand.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

I think it's a depressing sign of the times that apparently most people will see this title and realize it's about Lightroom rather than a traditional darkroom (at least the publisher must assume they will or else he would have selected a different name).

The whole digital situation is causing me to lose interest in photography. There used to be a lot more to photography for me than simply making photographs. I used to really enjoy sitting around with people talking about photography, attending workshops, learning from and socializing with people like John Sexton and Ruth Bernhard, reading photography magazines, learning new techniques for printing, learning about photography equipment, reading about great photographers of the past, almost everything related to "photography" interested me.

Now everything involving "photography" is digital and I have no interest in any of it. I don't care about the latest digital equipment, I have not the slightest interest in the fact that CS3 is in beta testing or that Panasonic and Sony are introducing new digital cameras. I don't even like the fact that those companies make cameras, they should stick to TVs and cell phones and the rest of that home entertainment crap. And it isn't like I'm some neanderthal with fingernails stained from Amidol living in the past. I've been printing digitally for years and I can't argue with the results, there's no question in my mind that I make better digital prints from 4x5 scans than I did in the darkroom. But it's all just an end to a means now, not something I enjoy for itself.

This is about the only place where I find people still interested in traditional photography. Almost everyone I know uses a digital camera exclusively and these are serious photographers who as recently as five years ago wouldn't have thought of giving up film. The camera group that I belong to just threw away the slide projector, everything being shown was digital, it had been years since anyone used the projector. I can't avoid the feeling that all of us in this forum are just a tiny band of dinosaurs doomed to extinction within a relatively few years.

Well sorry for the rant but the notion that a magazine titled "Darkroom" is actually about digital software instead of Dektol just blows my mind.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.