Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amount of Sheet Film for One Day Field Trips?

Amount of Sheet Film for One Day Field Trips?

Trevor,

I own 11 film holders but usually take no more than 8 of them with me. I can thus shoot 16 images and I usually bring two different film types with me, one slower, one faster. I rarely shoot all 16 images though. I'm too slow, indecisive, and klutzy I think to consider bring more film than that to any shoot.

Robb

Trevor: I carry 12 holders and usually shoot both sides on one scene. That gives me 12 shots, which is a lot if you take the time to set up the shot properly. I also will take a 220 Calumet back and a couple of rolls of film just in case. I carry my holders in a small zipup camera and video camera case I found at Walmart for $20. It just fits the holders stacked vertically and has a pocket for filters, etc. The shoulder strap makes it easy to carry. It is a black nylon bag and works better than anything I have ever tried. I have also carried holders in the nylon lunch bags in the school section of Walmart. They close with hook and loop.

Note to Bill: The same guy determined that sheet film will have 25 sheets and wieners come in packages of 10 and buns in packages of eight. Don't you hate to have one sheet of film left in a box! Not only is it a pain in the behind to store, it probably won't match the emulusion of the next box you open.

Depending on the type of outing I've planned, I usually load all twenty of my holders with mostly Black and White and maybe two or three with Ektachrome. I typically pack about 6 holders of B&W and 1 or 2 of color in my backpack and head down the trail. I've got more than enough to keep me busy until I start to get hungry and head back for my car at which time I offload the exposed holders and take on some fresh ones. Seldom do I run out during the day. When I get back to my motel room, I wait for dark, tape visquene over the bathroom window if there is one and unload the day's work and reload. This system seems to work well for me. The only other thing I might recommend is packing each holder in a ziplock bag and putting some kind of label on each bag so you can record the exposure info on it. My holders are numbered so I reference the notes to those numbers.

I own 5 4x5 D/Ds, so take 10 sheets of film on a day trip. All APX100. Each D/D goes into its own ziploc plastic bag, and then all 5 go into another bigger ziploc bag in my backpack.

Some days I shoot all 10 sheets (rare). Other days I shoot none. Cest la vie!

Good luck.

Depending on what I shoot on it varies from up to 24 images (B+W or col neg) or 12 for slides, as I take two pictures of the same image (or perhaps more if I feel it is worth submtting to a library), however, I have of late, considered buying a couple of boxes of polariod type 51, and shooting for the negative.

I've got a similar question/dilemma coming up. doing a 50+ mile hike over a week at Evolution basin and I'm trying to decide how to split my Velvia/Tmax budget.

Along with my Tech. expedition and (ugh) Bogen 3021, I've budgeted 5 pounds for photo stuff. That's gonna be hard to do.

I have 40 double holders. On a trip to ghost towns or the like, I load 5 with Techpan, 5 with IR, ten with TMax 100, ten with TMax 400 and ten with Tri-X. Depending on the weather, light potential, subject matter and such I may take more Tri-X or TMax 400. If I am going to a place where the subject matter is very detail oriented such as the Bristle Cone pines in the White Mountains I use more techpan. If I am headed to an area that is rich in IR with contrasting components I will take alot more IR. I always have 20 Velvia Quickloads and 20 TMax Readyloads in the pack. I usually shoot all my film. I tend to shoot more than the average person so your requirements may vary. The farther from home I stray the more film I tend to shoot. Film is cheap, time is not. At the end of the month I'm going to NoCal and Oregon to shoot volcanoes and beaches. So I'll take extra film. I have always found a motel or other place to load up film. Motels are very accomodating when you explain what it is you are doing and that you only need to borrow a dark bathroom for a few minutes. I always send them a nice 11x14 signed when I get back. I also try and stay there if I need a place to stay on another journey throught the area always relating the story to them. It makes it easier for the next guy coming through. James