Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amount of Sheet Film for One Day Field Trips?

Amount of Sheet Film for One Day Field Trips?

I would lke to know on average how much sheet film, any size (not rolls) do peop le carry on one day field trips. How do you carry the holders and do you reload? Thanks for any input, all the best,

I carry all 9 of my holders if i can and i have never shot them all in one outing.for what its worth-J

I carry with me 6 8X10 film holders on a planned outting. I will expose both sheets of film in one holder on the same image. This means I will shoot 6 different images. All the locating , transporting equipment , setting up and concentration to produce one good image, will take a lot of time. Most of the time I come back with 2 unexposed film holders.

i do documentary work in remote locations fairly regularly, and i generally carry enough sheet film for about 100-150 shots. since there is no way i can carry 50-75 film holders, i use the kodak readyload system - i carry one film holder and 5 boxes of readyload packets. i would be very hard-pressed to do my work without this efficient, light-weight system. the system does take a bit of getting used to, and a bit of experience to learn to handle the packets correctly - if you are not careful, you can easily not close the darkslide cover on the packet all the way and fog the edges of the negative, or if you do not seat the packet securely in the holder, you can pull the negative out along with the darkslide without noticing it and not get a shot. however, after understanding how the system operates and how to deal with these issues, i have found the readyload system to be indispensible. good luck.

If I have scouted the shoot, I carry about 10 holders in a bag. If I'm away for a weekend, I load all my 50 holders and carry color and B/W to reload at night. I always carry (on long trips) the Photoflex changing bag so that I can down load anywhere. Scott

Forgot to mention....I do not reload holders in the field. I carry all the equipment in either a "Lowes" ZAG large plasic toolbox with wheels and carrying handle, or, a large soft shoulder strapped luggage bag. Most of my shooting is in the Floida swamps. Hoped I helped some.

For a full day, I'll carry all my 16 holders (3/4 Velvia, 1/4 Ektachrome100S) and in average will expose 10 to 12 of them (20 to 24 sheets). Never reload.

The nature of my work is closer to jnorman's than to others who have responded. I use the Fuji Quickload system 9film packets and holders and carry up to 40 sheets (2 boxes) . I have used all of that but sometimes I don't use any. If I am on a commercial or stock assignment I'll carry more plus polaroid.

With Quickload and Readyload you don't have to bother with reloading or carrying a lo t of dead weight and I don't have to spend time doing the cleaning rituals and I never have had a problem with dust or hairs on the film. The empty sleeves are returned to me by the lab and go into the recycling bin. The price I pay for this ease of use is up front: Quickloads cost about 2.5-3x of what regular f ilm does.

One or two 12 shot Bag-Mags, depending on the time I expect to be away from home. Incidentally, why the hell do they sell cut film in 25 sheet boxes? Every holder I know of takes an even number of sheets.

Trevor, I take 10 holders in a nylon stuff sack with drawstring closure (originally an "accessory" with a lightweight "stuffable" walking jacket). I also pack a large changing bag with box of film that I leave in the car, just in case! To date I rarely need to reload even if out all day. Regards Paul