Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some observations on old Kodak 4x5 pack film

Some observations on old Kodak 4x5 pack film

After more than a year of it kicking around in my camera bag, I finally finished off the 16 exposures of some Plus-X pack film of some unknown but undoubtedly prehistoric expiration date that had previously been sitting on the back of a cabinet shelf for, well, years. Assuming the remaining quality to be dubious at best, I had only pulled it out every now and then to take a second shot when I thought of it or to take a shot that was iffy at best. In the darkroom I realized that I had cleaned and stowed the Jobo so opted for an old Nikor spiral reel that on a good day could hold 12 pieces of film but which I usually only used for 6. In the dark, I opened the pack holder. I think now that the pack might be light tight even with exposed film as long as it is handled only by the edges but at the time I was uncertain so stayed in the dark. The next trick was to open the pack - dead easy now that I can see it in the light but requiring a lot of gropping, pushing, pulling, and prying at the time. (Hint - just pull the end where the tabs are sticking out towards the tabs about one quarter inch and it pops off allowing the top to hinge up and freeing the film.) Ah, the film! Well, not only are there 16 pieces of film and their tabs in there but there are also 18 sheets of paper, one attached to each sheet of film and now lying along its back, and 2 attached to each other proclaiming the film type. As you might have guessed by now the film is thin, very thin, very, very thin. The paper and the tab separated easily from the film leaving only a few little smudges of paper along the non-image edge which easily came off after the wash. There is one more thing about the film; it is larger than normal sheet film. It's over one quarter inch longer and just a smidgen wider (but enough wider that I had to reset the Nikor to its maximum width.) Loading it in the spiral was not fun and you have to be careful to keep the emulsion on the inside. That's another trick, telling which side the emulsion is on. There are no notches. When you open the pack the emulsion is up and you have to be careful to keep track of it while loading. I had exposed it at 100 and just developed it normally - 10 minutes at 70 in PMK. I was expecting to find it underexposed (from age induced speed loss) and fogged. Surprise! It was fine but a little bit crinkled from loading it in the spiral. The next surprise was what happened in the dryer; it was like a high kicking chorus line. The sheets were practically folding over on themselves. They need lots of room. Eventually they sort of straightened out. The next batch will be in the Jobo and, you know, I think there just may be some Tri-X film packs in the freezer. Hmmmmm..

Eric Biggerstaff

Re: Some observations on old Kodak 4x5 pack film

Man Chauncey, I think I am glad I never was able to get hooked on pack film, sounds kind of, well, fun (not)!

Look forward to seeing this stuff for myself next time I am over!

Stay warm.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I've got three left in the freezer (Tri-X). What a #$$#$@@ shame they aren't made any more.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I have a pack of 2X3 Tri-X from 1969 or something. Now, you've given me the incentive to try it. With Diafine, perhaps.

Since the subject has come up again, I have found the perfect way to mass develop and not get crinkled film. Of course, Kodak had the answer first: the Kodak Film Pack Tank. This is a tinned tank with screw on lid with gasket that holds 12 sheets (what did they do with 16 sheet packs?) in vertical taco style. Now all I have to do is rejuvenate the gasket!

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    Since the subject has come up again, I have found the perfect way to mass develop and not get crinkled film. Of course, Kodak had the answer first: the Kodak Film Pack Tank. This is a tinned tank with screw on lid with gasket that holds 12 sheets (what did they do with 16 sheet packs?) in vertical taco style. Now all I have to do is rejuvenate the gasket!
    Chauncey, I am completely in the dark that such a tank existed, and would be greatly interested in seeing the thing. Any chance you could email me some pix? bmitch at comcast.net. Thanks. (Did i say, Please?)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Chauncey, I am completely in the dark that such a tank existed, and would be greatly interested in seeing the thing. Any chance you could email me some pix? bmitch at comcast.net. Thanks. (Did i say, Please?)
    Me too. Please post some pix -- how about in this thread? I'd love to see it, and how film was positioned in it. That is, how it was used.

Bruce Watson

Well, I'll try. Please forgive the quick and dirty pics. This is also the first time I've tried to post any so hang onto your hats. One is of the Kodak and Premo tanks (I never had the guts for the Premo, but the tanks are identical), a "new" pack of film, and the sexiest of all pack film holders, the Busch, polished (sorry about the reflection, but it is really polished!) blued steel with contoured faux ivory darkslide pull. Another is of the film holder in the can and the bottom side of the lid showing the spring clipped lifter for the holder. No dipping the hands into those dirty old chemicals, no sirree Bob! And finally, the holder in all its glory. The film would be gently folded lengthwise with the middle of the back to the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    One is of the Kodak and Premo tanks (I never had the guts for the Premo, but the tanks are identical), a "new" pack of film, and the sexiest of all pack film holders, the Busch, polished (sorry about the reflection, but it is really polished!) blued steel with contoured faux ivory darkslide pull. Another is of the film holder in the can and the bottom side of the lid showing the spring clipped lifter for the holder. No dipping the hands into those dirty old chemicals, no sirree Bob! And finally, the holder in all its glory. The film would be gently folded lengthwise with the middle of the back to the outside.
    Thank you! This is very interesting to me.

So the film was folded in half and put into one of the wedge shaped slots? The film would hold itself in place by it's own "spring action" (that is, by the film's trying to open back up and flatten itself back out)? Was this more of a dip 'n dunk kind of agitation or an inversion kind of agitation?

Tell me again why we don't have film packs available today? This looks like a much better thing than the quickload/readyload system. Both for speed and for weight.

Bruce Watson

You're very welcome. Yes, that is how it would be loaded. You could dip it using the hook, but since the lid is gasketed and screwed on, I would guess that inversion was what they had in mind. I just tested the two lids, and the kodak one holds water. I may try to make a silicone seal for the Premo tank. Since I dug the stuff out, I might as well put that pack in the Busch and get some test film exposed!