Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did you attend the LIQUIDATION auction Jobo USA Sept. 20, 2005?

Re: Did you attend the LIQUIDATION auction Jobo USA Sept. 20, 2005?

OK did some research on the materials needed. Without going direct to the manufactuer of the plastic canvas for larger sheets, I can get them in 13 5/8" x 22 1/2" size. It costs a whopping $1.50 for a sheet that size. The little plastic clips which also act to hold the sheet film to the sheet, are cents each. I hope that cost factor is agreeable to those who would want to make it. I will have John take some (gasp this from me) digi snaps of his sheet along with the one that jobo puts out as comparison. He found that his works much better than the jobo one. He can also let you know where he got the clips and how he attached them. It might take you 5 minutes construction time.

Thanks Aggie. Looking forward to the pics. Do I understand correctly that you go to a fabric store and ask for "plastic canvas used ... to do a type of needlepoint."? The ladies in the fabric store thought I was gay a couple of years ago when I bought several yards of black velvet for a macro project. I'll just tell them the black ball room gown didn't work out and I am on to needlepoint in my lonely senior dotage.

John

John - I've received the same raised-eyebrows when purchasing fabric for backdrops and props. When I mention its for photography, the raised eyebrows shift to the "yeah, right" rolled eyes.

Heck, I spend more time in our local fabric store than my wife ever does, know most of the ladies on a first name basis, they have finally come to the conclusion, I am just weird!

LOL

OK, if I did a large order direct from the manufacturer it saves money, and you men the embarrasement factor. If you want I could do that. On the flip side, my shooting buddy who came up with this idea, mentioned he could do it as an article for the magazine I'm connected too. Would still need to have people independently test it out. Would cost of materials plus postage help for those who would test it?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    .....Without going direct to the manufactuer of the plastic canvas for larger sheets, I can get them in 13 5/8" x 22 1/2" size......
    I am planning on using the 20x24 Jobo 3063 drum, so I would need a larger sheet, as I think most of us interested in this would. Aggie, if you are volunteering to contact the manufacturer, you've got my full support. Thanks!

Aggie,

I would be happy to test it, and I would also be more than happy to cover the cost of the materials and postage. I shoot 7x17 TMY in Pyrocat HD and already have the Jobo and 3063 drum. Thanks,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    ...On the flip side, my shooting buddy who came up with this idea, mentioned he could do it as an article for the magazine I'm connected to...
    Great idea, have Robert write it up (with illustrations) in Emulsion! Test results should be included, especially for worst-case scenes with lots of even tone.

Since Dave Parker hasn't got much going on with ground glass right now, maybe he can start manufacturing and selling the inserts to supplement his business.

For those who would need dimensions larger than 14x22 I will keep searching to find a manufacturer who will sell me a large roll of the stuff. I'd have dave write it up, but I already have the guy John Roseborough, who invented it, writing the article. Of course I can use the rest of you and your results if you will let me. Pssst I'm not trying to advertise, so just say that magazine. Enough know who I am. I just want to if I can blend in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Great idea, have Robert write it up (with illustrations) in Emulsion! Test results should be included, especially for worst-case scenes with lots of even tone.

Since Dave Parker hasn't got much going on with ground glass right now, maybe he can start manufacturing and selling the inserts to supplement his business.
    You funny, Ha,Ha!

Dave