Thread: Banff or Jasper from Jan 26th - Jan 29th

Banff or Jasper from Jan 26th - Jan 29th

Hello All,

A friend and I will be in the Banff area during this time period. I'm still working out my trip plans, but if anyone has good winter photo suggestions in this area, it would be much appreciated. In the past, I've typically followed Darwin Wiggett's guide to the area with a lot of success.

I took a winter trip here in December of last year, and had an "interesting" experience driving the Icefields Parkway during "poor" road conditions (according to the sign). This time, I'm considering sticking close to the Banff area, but if the evidence points to spending most of my time in the Jasper area, then I'll probably stay up there during most of the trip.

I have a 4x4 Truck with brand new tires, so this trip should be much better than last time I'm hoping

Ben C

Re: Banff or Jasper from Jan 26th - Jan 29th

You could take the gondola ride and get this view:

http://www.banffgondola.com/cam/images/view.jpg

Hwy 93 North to Jasper is probably your best bet. Angel Glacier, Howse Peak, Mt. Cephren, and Mt. Wilson are all must-stops, as long the weather is cooperating. The first three are morning shots, Mt. Wilson is a later-in-the-day shot (but it awesome to look at at any time). Crowfoot Glacier can also be interesting.

Mt. Athabasca, Athabasca Glacier, Dome Glacier, and Tangle Falls are also very interesting. Tangle Falls will be all ice, but it can still be interesting.

You appear to have a good vehicle to travel 93N, unlike the moron I passed a week before Christmas who was trying to drive uphill (from the valley floor up past the Panther Falls parking lot) backwards in a Mazda-3. Through 10" of snow. Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by KenM View Post
    Hwy 93 North to Jasper is probably your best bet. Angel Glacier, Howse Peak, Mt. Cephren, and Mt. Wilson are all must-stops, as long the weather is cooperating. The first three are morning shots, Mt. Wilson is a later-in-the-day shot (but it awesome to look at at any time). Crowfoot Glacier can also be interesting.

Mt. Athabasca, Athabasca Glacier, Dome Glacier, and Tangle Falls are also very interesting. Tangle Falls will be all ice, but it can still be interesting.

You appear to have a good vehicle to travel 93N, unlike the moron I passed a week before Christmas who was trying to drive uphill (from the valley floor up past the Panther Falls parking lot) backwards in a Mazda-3. Through 10" of snow. Idiot.
    You know what I couldn't believe? Last time I was up there in the winter, I was going about 45mph on compact snow and ice, which typically is way outside my comfort zone...I had several people pass me going 70+ without chains.... Unbelieveable. A few times I wondered if I would have to start carrying some serious trauma gear in my truck.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Vermillion Lakes is just a short ways outside of Banff... I don't know how accessible the roads are these days but it's a great shooting spot.

You might send Craig Richards (http://www.spiralroad.com/sr/craig_richards/index.html) a note. He's one of Banff's best known fine arts photographers and is a nice fellow to boot. Perhaps, he may have some suggestions. Check out his book... gorgeous images.

I also saw an image of Ink Pots with a really nice looking, frozen water fall behind them in a magazine put out by The Fairmont Hotels chain. If you ask some of the residents in Banff they may be able to tell you where they're located.

Lastly, a drive up to Lake Louise should be on your agenda. Shooting the lake against the Rocky Mountains as a back drop is quite spectacular.

For a really decent restaurant (great wine list! ) try:

http://lebeaujolaisbanff.com/

There are also tours available... check this link:

http://www.banfftours.com/

The area around Banff is a beautiful region... truly a gem!

Have a good time!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

To misquote Jean Shepard: "You'll freeze your arss off, Kid."
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Hi Ben,

Vermillion Lakes is just a short ways outside of Banff... I don't know how accessible the roads are these days but it's a great shooting spot.

You might send Craig Richards (http://www.spiralroad.com/sr/craig_richards/index.html) a note. He's one of Banff's best known fine arts photographers and is a nice fellow to boot. Perhaps, he may have some suggestions. Check out his book... gorgeous images.

I also saw an image of Ink Pots with a really nice looking, frozen water fall behind them in a magazine put out by The Fairmont Hotels chain. If you ask some of the residents in Banff they may be able to tell you where they're located.

Lastly, a drive up to Lake Louise should be on your agenda. Shooting the lake against the Rocky Mountains as a back drop is quite spectacular.

For a really decent restaurant (great wine list! ) try:

http://lebeaujolaisbanff.com/

There are also tours available... check this link:

http://www.banfftours.com/

The area around Banff is a beautiful region... truly a gem!

Have a good time!

Cheers
    Yep, I've been to Vermillion lakes every time I go up there. I've also stopped at the paint pots.. The problem I always run into is that I only have 4 days to shoot, and any trip from Banff to Jasper eats up a lot of time. I think I'd like to focus on a specific area this time, rather than try to hit everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Chase View Post
    Yep, I've been to Vermillion lakes every time I go up there. I've also stopped at the paint pots.. The problem I always run into is that I only have 4 days to shoot, and any trip from Banff to Jasper eats up a lot of time. I think I'd like to focus on a specific area this time, rather than try to hit everything.
    Hi Ben,

Yes, I understand exactly where you're coming from... there's a LOT of great areas to photograph there.

Perhaps, it's time to take an extended holiday!

If you get the chance to stop in at The Banff Springs Hotel, go up to the second floor. The last time I was there they had a great exhibition of photography there. A number of years prior to that... I stopped in and discovered a great exhibition by Craig Richards. Beautiful images!

You might also find Craig's books at the Whyte Museum... it's worth taking a peek through but I'll bet you'll end up buying a copy. It's very well done.

Good luck and have fun.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!