Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toyo 45CF

Big Bend

Re: Toyo 45CF

I sold my CF too, but I was able to do rear tilt (backwards only) with the drop bed feature.

Best Joe

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pixclixer View Post
    Is the CF that limited? I used a Crown Graphic al lot and its limited front moves were mostly sufficient for landscape. Why the emphasis on rear tilts?
    I usually used front tilts, pretty much had always been taught to do so.
    Granted, I moved to an ARCA for landscape.
    Is this a folding camera front bed clearance issue?
    I have a Crown Graphic, but ended up buying a new Tachihara because there are some times when the rear movement is just nice to have.

a bit of background - Toyo - if memory serves me correctly - bought all the tools & dies for the old Super Speed Graphic, which is the Graphic that came after the Crown. It has more movements than the Crown, but still no back movements. I used to own a Super SG, loved the camera, but again, got to a point I wanted those back movements.

In my opinion, the Toyo 45 CF is basically the current, modernized version of the older Super Speed Graphic, or if Graphic was still in business today making the SSG, it would likely look like the Toyo 45 CF, IMO.

The range and type of movements on the older Super SG and the current Toyo 45 CF are very close to each other, so if you are happy with the range of movements on your Crown and/or a Super Speed Graphic, you would likely be happy with the Toyo.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph O'Neil View Post
    In my opinion, the Toyo 45 CF is basically the current, modernized version of the older Super Speed Graphic, or if Graphic was still in business today making the SSG, it would likely look like the Toyo 45 CF, IMO.joe
    I would agree with this comment. I bought a CF new and then got an AX off of Ebay. I thought the CF was VERY CG-like. No idea about durability, but the AX appears much more capable for relatively few more $$. (or go get a nice CG and really save)

Stew

From another point of view I think that the lack of movements is overstated. A few years ago I bought a Horseman HD. Short bellows and no back movements. (Like the 45CF) For the only once in a while need for looming a subject you can back tilt with bed drop and front tilt. This camera is so small, light and tough it is now my main 4x5. I have a Deardorff 4x5/5x7 with movements up the kazoo. I only use it for 5x7 now.

However I would worry about the build quality of the CF. I don't know if it would take the beating my HD takes on a motorcycle or bouncing around in the Jeep.
    Having grown up with a Crown Graphic it was easy for me to adapt.

Terence

I would hardly say I'm gentle with equipment. My CF, which I got at the intro price, is scratched, scuffed, etc. and has been dragged all over the west, through snow and rain. None of this affects the camera operation. The stamped rails, etc are much lighter than milled stock, and have not been a problem for me. I'm not sure what people are doing to their cameras that they're worried about damaging these. Sure they're not as sturdy, but it was cheap and light and fairly tough. I'm not sure I'd pay current prices, though. My only gripes with it is that when closed it is not nearly as dust-tight as a Graflex, and I don't like the use of the rail extension as the clam-shell lock.