Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Landscape Photo Opportunities in Oregon

Re: Landscape Photo Opportunities in Oregon

David Middleton has a good guide book on the Oregon coast, covers the entire coast, you could get it at Amazon.com
    Which I just noticed is the link Eric provided, So I second this book.
    BR
    Last edited by brian reed; 11-Jan-2007 at 19:15.

May is my all time favorite month for photographing my home state of Oregon. They've already been mentioned, but I'll just reinforce what others have said. My three favorite spots that time of year are the Coast, the Gorge and the Painted Hills.

The entire Coast is a treasure, but two not-to-be-missed highlights are the Bandon Needles and Cannon Beach/Ecola State Park. While you're driving up (or down) the Coast, be sure to get off 101 and do the Three Capes Scenic Loop. Of the three capes, Kiwanda is my personal favorite.

For the Gorge, definitely drive the Historic Scenic Highway to see many of the biggest waterfalls and the obligatory view of Vista House from Women's Forum State Park. Also, for many other great watefalls, try a few hikes. The easiest and biggest bang for the buck is the Eagle Creek trail. Punchbowl Falls is an easy 4.4 mile round trip, but if you've got the time and energy, Tunnel Fals is a worthwhile 12 mile round trip (it's an easy 12 miles on a nice, well maintained trail with very gradual elevation gain). Go on an overcast, drizzly week day for the best lighting and smallest crowds. Another personal favorite starts at Horsetail Falls, climbs up behind Ponytail Falls, crosses the top of Oneonta Gorge on a bridge, with a quick 1.8 mile side trip to Triple Falls.

There will still be too much snow in the mountains for hiking at anthing but low elevations. A GREAT view of Mt. Hood can be had from Lost Lake. There is a nice campground and some rental cabins available at the lake. They usually open sometime in May, depending on the previous winter's snow fall. Call ahead to make sure the road to the lake has been plowed before attempting the drive (about 100 miles and ~2 hours from Portland). In May, you'll have to come in from north via I-84 and Hood River. Lolo Pass road from the south (via Hwy. 26 to Zig Zag) won't be open yet. If Lost Lake road is open, the Mountain will still have lots of snow on it that time of year and the lighting should be good both early and late in the day.

If you do decide to head over to the Painted Hills (~5 hour drive from Portland), also check out Smith Rock State Park while in the area.

You can view photos of many of these places at the Pacific Northwest Showcase on my website.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    May - try the Wooden Shoe Bulb Co. in Woodburn - between Salem and Portland off I-5. They have lots of tulips blooming around that time.
    Actually, May will be too late for the tulip fields. They start blooming in late March and by late April they've all been harvested. Early April is usually the best time to get the fields at their peak.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    Then there are the Steens Mountain area along the South east Oregon.
    While the low elevation areas around the Steens will be accessible in May, the loop road up the mountain won't be open. This photo was taken in early July about 2/3 of the way up the mountain, just before a locked gate at ~7000 ft. Beyond the gate, the road was still closed due to snow.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
    For part of the time, I do plan to go to Crater Lake.
    I have camped quite a few times at Crater Lake, actually at Diamond Lake that is a few miles away. It is quite possible to have portions of the rim drive closed due to snow. Many years back, I was there on 4th of July and half of the rim drive was closed. So do check the road conditions before going there.

Also, don't miss the scenic drive 138 from Roseburg (Hwy 5) to Crater Lake. Some of the most beautiful and less-known falls I have seen on this drive. You will need to hike up to two miles (one way) for some of these falls, but they are worth it. Most of these waterfalls are in narrow gorges surrounded by tall trees providing the perfect even lighting conditions for waterfall photography. Many times I have found the light to be quite low. If you want to capture some texture in the flowing water, you might want to carry faster film. See: http://www.idleyldlodge.com/waterfalls.html

Take mosquito repellent. Once we were almost eaten alive by throngs of giant-size mosquitoes while hiking down (and then up) from the rim drive to the lake (800 feet drop).

I second the Cannon Beach/Ecola State Park, Columbia Gorge and Silver Falls State Park suggestions. Oregon is beautiful and I miss it!

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun.

// Atul

Well I purchased my Air Tickets through Delta from Allentown, PA to Portland, OR for a remarkably low fare. The trip will run from May 1 to May 23 and I am looking forward to getting out there. I will wait on the car rental and hope for some special price closer to the time. Thanks everyone for the input. I will try to digest your recommendations and select the locations very carefully since I will only have 3 weeks. I will spend some time with my friend Charlie Campbell and probably run out to shoot with him for some of the trip and quite possibly to some of the areas that were recommended.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

If you have a rainy day while in the Portland area, spend it in Powell's Book Store/. It's huge! Another pilgramage I enjoyed was the Tillamook Cheese Factory (with free samples).

Don't forget The Dalles! And if you get cold, you can always go to Pendleton and buy a wool shirt, and if the Tillamook cheese didn't fill you up you can hit the free samples at Harry and David's in Medford
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

There's a recycling yard along the north side of the river by Portland that has some excellent piles of garbage, paper, glass, other junk. Highly recommended.

Rich,

I've made photographs in Oregon several times. Having done the traditional coastline, waterfall photos, I wanted something new on my last trip, so I decided to not have an agenda. No pre-conceptions. The result was finding a subject that I never new was there. Covered bridges. There are lots of them covering the state. I strongly suggest searching the internet for the locations. Cottage Grove has several and all very accessible. IMHO the best was in a little town called Yahoots (pronounced ya-hotz). Follow the winding narrow roads. It's all the way at the end and on private property. But the owners don't mind tourists.

BTW - Ferndale is a great place, but it's in N. California.