Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebony SV45Ti versus SV45U

Re: Ebony SV45Ti versus SV45U

I purchased an SV45U2 for the AS tilt and bellows draw - I ended up selling it. I miss the extension (and my 450mm lens) but for my compositions AS tilt was problematic. Sure, it's easy as pie, but my foreground subjects don't tolerate the distortion inherent to rear tilt. I recommend that you give this some thought before you make your decision...

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

All Ebony's are great. You don't have to use the AS reat tilt just because it's there. But it's a choice you'll have. There are still three other tilting options available to you. But the 450mm bellows was important to me, too.

Many thanks for the replies. When I ask if the SV45U will improve the "quality" of photos, I'm wondering if the assymetrical movements improve the ability to focus so that the photos tend to be sharper than if going through the focus, tilt, refocus, etc. you need to do normally. I've read on this forum that people find focusing with the SV45U easier, but is it really more effective or improved focusing than it would be otherwise? Thanks again.

Andy

Andy,

It isn't more effective, if you mean sharper pictures in theory. You can set the back at any given angle with either type of movements. In most cases, the asymmetric back is faster - frequently requiring only focusing on the swing/tilt line and moving the back to proper focus. This 1-step process is easier and faster, and may result in sharper pictures because it is easier and faster, but you can achieve equally sharp pictures with either type movement.

I find asymmetric movements to be useful because of the fast set up in rapidly changing light.

If you are "front movement" person, don't bother with asymmetric movements, which are only on the rear standard in the Ebony line.

Steve

Andy,

Yes, I actually have both. I carry the RW45 on hikes where the weight savings is important to my advancing age on tough hikes or when for some reason I need to carry extra lenses. I probably never would have bought one, but went horse trading and ended up with it.

You won't have any issues with the RW45 rigidity.

I rarely use the RW45 personally just because I like the SV45U so much, but I also have a friend that sold an SV45U and kept a RW45 for almost the identical reason. He said the RW was lighter and did everything he wanted it to do, but that he did want a 400mm telephoto for use with it.

Rarely the front shift on the SV45U is useful if you need to be where you can't be, like in a river or an icy mountain stream.

You should be able to use lenses up to 360mm at infinity, but certainly the RW would work for up to 240mm, close up photos notwithstanding.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sipress View Post
    All Ebony's are great. You don't have to use the AS reat tilt just because it's there. But it's a choice you'll have. There are still three other tilting options available to you. But the 450mm bellows was important to me, too.
    That's quite true, you have front axis tilts, plus front and rear base tilts. I find that I don't have much use for either base tilt outside of increasing my extention a little bit, but the front tilts are available when you want to avoid the distortion inherent in rear tilt.

Of course, pretty much the same thing applies to swing.