Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebony SV45Ti versus SV45U

Ebony SV45Ti versus SV45U

I've narrowed my camera choices down to either the SV45Ti or the SV45U with asymmetric movements. I'll be doing mainly landscapes, but also some closeup studio work. If anyone has experience with these cameras, can you give an opinion as to whether the asymmetric movements are worth it (about $700 extra)? In reality, will the asymmetric movements really enhance focusing that much that it will make a difference in both ease of use and in photo quality? Thanks to everyone for the help.

Andy

Re: Ebony SV45Ti versus SV45U

Worth it to me - you only buy once. I have the SV45U. It will make a difference in ease of using the back movements - generally faster to get what you want. It won't make any difference in the quality of your photos.

Steve

Asymmetrical movements would be a nice feature to have although I can't afford it (i.e. this is not a user comment). FYI, here's an article by Richard Sexton if you haven't seen:
    http://www.ebonycamera.com/media/asy....movements.pdf

To add to the original question, how well does it work when you use both tilt and swing? I don't suppose it's yaw-free like Sinars. Does it at least help when you want to twist the plane of focus?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_5440 View Post
    In reality, will the asymmetric movements really enhance focusing that much that it will make a difference in both ease of use and in photo quality? Thanks to everyone for the help.
    Asymmetric movements won't result in better pictures, they just make it easier to work with rear tilt and swing. Asymmetric movements are very nice to have and they do save time, but they really are a luxury rather than a necessity. They did make a few of the other workshop participants envious

Additionally the added asymetric rear movements will add to the weight as cost of the camera. If weight is of consideration for carrying the camera any distance this may be of some concern.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Doug Dolde

Get an Arca Swiss with orbix. It won't distort like back tilt. Very slick and much more accurate.

Hi Doug,

As beautiful as the Arca F line cameras are, they are substantially heavier and not as packagable as the Ebonies and many other cameras if weight, portability, and size are of concern.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Arca? Great, yes, but not the topic here. I chose the SV45U for the asymetrical tilts/swings, and the long bellows draw for my 450c lens. Still very happy with it.

What other people did or thought in terms of "is it worth it" is of next to no importance but FWIW I bought the SVTi, followed by the SVTe, because I don't use back movements all that often, front movements seem easier and more intuitive for me, and when I do use back movements I haven't found getting the tilts and swings right very difficult or time-consuming most of the time. It just didn't seem worth the extra cost for what I thought was a minor convenience. Obviously others think differently.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I couldn't convince myself that the asymmetric movements were worth it. As most of the use is outdoors and carrying it around, I was also concerned about the extra weight of the ebony over mahogany. I went with the SV45ti and I don't regret it at all. It's a great camera.