I've been lurking around this site for a bit trying to gain
    info on Toyos new Carbon Fiber Field camera but
    haven't been able to search up much.

Can anyone tell me what their impressions or experiences
    are with this camera?

Thanks!

Justin

Re: Toyo 45CF

Not worth buying, IMO. The CF's movements are so limited that it really makes the camera not too useful for landscapes.

thank you.

I disagree on the movements, they are limited but useful for most landscape work OTOH I wouldn't buy one either .... just too cheaply made and hae a tendancy to fall apart, break, etc. You can get a nice new Tachihara for the same or less money that will last you a long time and givces you more movements; same for a Shen Hao but it is heavier.

Justin,
    I have been using a 45CF for about two years. And I finally sold the 45AII which was the first view camera I bought 7 years ago. In my opinion a 45CF is better than the AII on features important for me :weight and movements of the front standard. When I need more features and I don't have to hike a lot I take my Sinar F2.
    I tried a Tachihara and felt that the front standard was not as acurate as the CF's. Also the Tachi is less rigid specially with a 300mm which is my second most used lens.
    Just my 2cts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    I disagree on the movements, they are limited but useful for most landscape work
    Perhaps, but I can't see how you can live without the rear tilt. Not for serious landscape work.

Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Perhaps, but I can't see how you can live without the rear tilt. Not for serious landscape work.
    Don't know. Even my old Korona has generous rear movements, even if the front movements are nearly nil.

With lenses 300mm and shorter what is wrong with front movements. In fact, depending on the distances involved from foreground to background there rae many instances where front tilt is preferable. However, I still would never recommend this camera to anyone. Even if you want it because it is light I can still think of better options. For those that have good luck with the camera, great. If I could be sure it wouldn;t fall apart I 'd get one myself but there are jsut oo many stories and dealer returns on them are unreasonably high. In fact I preordered one when they were announced several years ago at an intro price of $400. hen mine arrived it was broken in the box .

Is the CF that limited? I used a Crown Graphic allot and its limited front moves were mostly sufficient for landscape. Why the emphasis on rear tilts?
    I usually used front tilts, pretty much had always been taught to do so.
    Granted, I moved to an ARCA for landscape.
    Is this a folding camera front bed clearance issue?

Quote Originally Posted by pixclixer View Post
    Is the CF that limited? I used a Crown Graphic allot and its limited front moves were mostly sufficient for landscape. Why the emphasis on rear tilts?
    I usually used front tilts, pretty much had always been taught to do so.
    Granted, I moved to an ARCA for landscape.
    Is this a folding camera front bed clearance issue?
    No, it is because you do not have the opportunity of using the rear tilts for the purpose of exagerating the size of objects in the foreground (can not cause rocks etc. to loom in size- changing shape by moving the film plane in relation to the subject). Additionally, there may be instances where it would be preferable to use rear tilts with telephoto lenses or lenses on a top hat rather than deal with the inherent problems of the lens size and nodal points with front tilts.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com