Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Durst Laborator 1200

Re: Durst Laborator 1200

I have also purchased a used, but mint, Durst 1200 with the color mixing head. Might I ask a quick question regarding mixing chambers-which subject might have been addressed previously? As brief backround, the enlarger came only with the "standard" 4x5 mixing chamber. I am starting with 35mm enlarging, and will be using a Rodagon 50/2.8. I plan to rapidly go up to 6x6, and for such purpose I already have a Rodagon 135/5.6 which thankfully mounts into a spare Lapia 39 ring that came with the enlarger ( indeed, both lenses came with the enlarger ). I need some advice as to whether or not a 35 mm -and even a 6x6 mixing chamber -will be required. I realize that the 4x5 chamber can be used, but I wonder about the length of exposure necessary. Would some of you offer some guidance as to the need for additional mixing chambers for 6x6 and 35mm work? Furthermore, any suggestions as to a lens ( if needed ) for dedicated 4x5 work on the 1200 would be appreciated The Rodenstock site states that the 135mm can be used, but not having any experience, I need some "independent" advice. I realize that another lens would probably require another Lapia ( and Durst accoutrements are becoming hard to find, and are certainly costly ).

I appreciate any comments, and advice.

Elliot

Even though I have other mixing boxes, I use the 4x5 for all formats and find that for 6x6 and 35mm I often need to add neutral density to kepp the exposures reasonably long. I use a 50mm Apo Rodagon for 35mm and exposure times can be pretty short if doing small prints. For 4x5 I primarily use a 150mm Rodagon, or a 135mm Nikkor if I need to do larger prints than my low ceiling will allow. I use a 90mm Apo Rodagon for 6x6. I am very happy with all these lenses.

Thanks Richard. Much appreciated. Can you give me some idea of your exposure times, for 35mm, 6x6, and 4x5 using your lenses and printing to both 5x7 and 8x10 paper? I assume you are using one of the "middle aperatures" on your enlarging lenses? Also, do you use the "glass-less" negative holders, and if so, any problems with the negatives remaing flat? As one would expect, one hears diverse views about the pros and cons of using anti Newton glass. Intuitively one would infer that using any additional glass surface(s) between the the negative and the paper would add a potential source ofimage degradation. Morevoer, cleaning the glass seems to be a recurring issue.

Elliot

I have heard that you can use the 4x5 box for smaller formats, and in fact you can simply mask off the excess area of the box to make it fit your format. The only negative is longer exposure time.

Thanks Cyrus, but how long is the exposure time increased? I can easily see that with a somewhat longer exposure time dodging and burning becomes easier to do. However, if one is doing a lot of printing then longer exposure times can add up to some inconvenience.

That I can't answer since, among other things, I haven' actually used the darned thing yet so I was just reporting what I've heard. I don't think that it should be a significant difference since we're not really talking about a huge difference in brightness.

Am I the only one getting a "new post" email from this forum from a guy selling some stuff? I don't see the messages here, but the link to this forum is in the email.

Weird.

Elliot;
    I too have this enlarger, and I like it very much. The lab I used to work at used these and several other brands, but these were the best. The only weak points are the locks on the focus, and the column spring can give trouble, when you're not using it, move the head up to the top of the column, this takes some strain off of it. These problems only showed up after a number of years of 16-20 hr a day use, so it will last almost a lifetime in casual use.
    Unless the scratches on the mixing boxes are bad, they won't show. Minor ones I used to polish them out with some #600 sandpaper, finishing off with polishing cloth.
    If your're still needing a a 150mm lens for 4X5 work, I might have a spare on a Durst board, I could sell.
    Keith

On my durst 5 X 7 the multiply factors for different mix boxes are
    24 X 36mm => 1X
    70X 70mm => 1.17X
    5" X 5" => 3.54X
    13 X18cm => 5.62X

So a print made with 10 sec and the 24 X 36 box will requires 35.4 seconds with the 5 " X 5" box.