Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grand Canyon

Re: Grand Canyon

thanks for the input everyone, I have decided to go in fall probabably the end of September. Thanks for the offer Aggie I'll let you know the details if you like.
    Wonderful image Doug, I could only hope to get something like yours.
    BR

I worked a summer there, many moons ago and have returned several times -- usually during the last two weeks of April. The flowers are out down in the Canyon -- quite a garden!

I was walking along the rim thru snow to get to work in May of '77, but it must have been an unusual year -- the Aprils I have returned there since then have been without snow, but with some rare rain.

July and August is the time if thunderstorms. very dramatic.

I have taken a few 11-day backpack trips down in the canyon with my 4x5. Can't say I have had much luck, photographically speaking. It has been a tough place for me to capture -- the landscape is on a grand scale...and I tend to focus in a little more with my photos rather than on the larger landscape.

April or September, I wish you a great trip!

Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 15-Jan-2007 at 03:37. Reason: mis-spelling and additions

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rhoades View Post
    The north rim should be closed. I've found that April can be awful windy. To much so for a L/F camera. Take along a M/F just in case.
    Very good advice - I have been to both the North and South Rim numerous times when it was completely unfeasable to mount a LF camera onto the tripod. The wind at the Rim can be brutal. I used my Mamiya instead and everything was fine. Jim is right - do not rely on your LF gear alone.
    Juergen

That's a great catch you posted above Doug. Nice work. It's tough to get mother nature to cooperate like that.