Thread: Cone ink rumors

Cone ink rumors

Hey,

NOTE: I'm not trying to start any sort've rumor or suggest ANYTHING.

A friend of a friend claimed (oh, how I love how the Telephone game goes) that CONE inks are prone to flaking or peeling off of the paper they've been printed on . . . then he said blah blah blah "class action lawsuit by summer."

Has anyone heard of or experienced this or is it just a rumor?

I ask because I'd like to turn an old 9600 into a dedicated b/w printer at school. I'd prefer not to have the school invest $$ into a system that **blows**

Thanks

T

Re: Cone ink rumors

I am kind of tapped into that pipeline by friends that have been with PZ since the beginning. These are heavy institutional users. I have never heard of this issue. There is always a general issue with flaking on some papers and any inks, but that is more of a paper problem. I will check with them and see.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks I appreciate your digging for me.

If there are specific paper/ink combos that don't work can you pass them onto me?

T

Quote Originally Posted by false_Aesthetic View Post
    NOTE: I'm not trying to start any sort've rumor or suggest ANYTHING.
    And yet, that's exactly what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by false_Aesthetic View Post
    A friend of a friend claimed (oh, how I love how the Telephone game goes) that CONE inks are prone to flaking or peeling off of the paper they've been printed on . . . "
    I'd say it's your "friend of a friend" that's flaky. I've been using Cone's PiezoTone inks for years and never had any problems of any kind with them. Certainly not flaking. For that matter, this is the first time I've heard the term "flaking" used in the same sentence with Cone's inks. And people have given him lots and lots of feedback on his inks. See the archives here:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/p...guid=276055793

This is Cone's own yahoo group. It's all there, all out in the open for anyone to see. If there's a problem with his inks, you are certainly going to read about it there!

Bruce Watson

In my eight months experience with Cone ink and both Hahnemuhle Photo Rag and Moab Entrada, I have not had any flaking of the paper surface.

A couple of papers reviewed on Luminous-landscape had flaking problems. I don't recall which ones.

I'm an ex-user, and soon to be returning user of Cone inks and I've never heard that one. I suspect that it is more to do with the papers than the ink.

On a slightly different note, would you have any preference for a B&W ink system for the 9600 that can print on glossy as well as matte papers, without changing cartridges, and also coat the prints?

Best,
    Helen

You can get flaking if you use a textured paper with a coating that rubs of - william turner is an example - if you get a batch where there is loose coating on the surface and you don't brush it off prior to printing. Likewise I had a box of photorag once that flaked because there was loose coating. This has nothing to do with Cone, but can happen with some batches of some papers. Give the paper a quick brush first and off you go...

Quote from one of the most knowledgeable and long term institutional Cone users that I know and someone who's mural size PZ prints show internationally:

I have heard of many suites -ownership of rights with SunDance, and fading but not flaking. Also I have never experienced faking. I am about to convert the 9500 to the newer neutral K6 inkset (the school bought the conversion kit never used it and retired the 9500.
    This is pretty much gospel to me.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

My experience from long ago was more or less in line with what Julian wrote. Rough papers with less than perfect surfaces and a little abrasion or bending and the ink would come off.

Hey,

So I did a bunch of digging and found the printer responsible for the prints. I shot him an email and got a call back in 20 min.

It's true, the inks/prints did flake, however, this was apparently a rare case: the files/prints were so dark that too much ink was layed down and it flaked off of itself. His solution was to lighten the images and the to varnish (didn't go into detail).

---

Thanks for the input everyone.

T