Thread: Benro Ball Heads

Benro Ball Heads

Hi all

I'm looking for a replacement tripod head for my Manfrotto 055 to use with my new 5X4 camera. My current 3D head is just too light weight so I thought a medium sized ball head would do the trick.

Having looked at the Arca (too expensive), Manfrotto and Giottos I came accross Benro tripods and heads from China (where else these days). These are readily available in the UK and look to be well engineered...but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Anyone had a chance to try one out? I have seen a few positive remarks in previous threads just thought a more definitive yeah or nay may be available a few months on.

Thanks in advance

Martin

Re: Benro Ball Heads

I have one and think it is terrific. I think it is the BM-2. I also have their 1 series and 3 series 4 leg segment CF tripods. They are great! I have only had one issue with a leg clamp on the lowermost segment of the 1 series. It started to act like it was stripped. When looking closely, it appears that the thread diameter of the knob may have been a little too large for the leg threads and the whole thing was just releasing just as it got close to being really tight. I added some teflon tape to the leg and it has worked fine. These things are half as expensive as their counterparts, and work with most of my LF and MF cameras. I also bought six quick release plates that are nicely made and again less espensive. I'm sold on Benro for everything but US access to sellers and service. Luckily I found a great dealer in Canada that is very responsive.

The ball head is actually better in that there is a tension knob as well as a locking knob so that the camera doesn't flop around while you adjust it.

Good stuff!

Stew