Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lens Reputations- Are We Kidding Ourselves?

Re: Lens Reputations- Are We Kidding Ourselves?

Oh, I buy Apo Sironar S lenses simply because I love their acronym (ASS) - for my photography, MC Geronars are good enough. But seriously, more than absolute resolution, it is usually flare control and color balance (I use EPP exclusively) that matter the most to me. Personally I like Rodenstock's modern coatings with EPP; someone else might as well prefer Schneider's with Velvia; or whatever.

A few wealthy photographers must deliver fine images of a wide variety of subjects. They are justified in owning a battery of great lenses. Most of us have neither the need nor the means for doing this. It is easier to make the most of what we can afford than pursuing the elusive magic lenses. There are enough challanging subjects to keep a perceptive and creative photographer busy for a lifetime with an Anniversary model Speed Graphic and its original lens. This might not pay the bills, but it rewards the soul.

Right on!

I just picked up a copy of Primitive Photography. I know, it was printed in 2002 and I'm a little slow. But that's not the point. The point is that there are instructions on building everything needed to take a fine photograph. This includes lenses.

How badly does a person want to make an image? There are many times tools to be purchased or constructed that will meet or exceed the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    A few wealthy photographers must deliver fine images of a wide variety of subjects. They are justified in owning a battery of great lenses. Most of us have neither the need nor the means for doing this. It is easier to make the most of what we can afford than pursuing the elusive magic lenses. There are enough challenging subjects to keep a perceptive and creative photographer busy for a lifetime with an Anniversary model Speed Graphic and its original lens. This might not pay the bills, but it rewards the soul.