Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mayan Ruins

Re: Mayan Ruins

When I visited the Yucatan I hired a local guide who took us to many relatively obscure sites over the course of a week or so. We were usually the only people at these sites so if there were any tripod restrictions there was nobody around to tell me about them. I don't remember the cost of hiring the guide but it was well worth whatever it cost, he was a great guy and very knowledgeable about the Mayan culture and many of the sites we visited. This was about 10-12 years ago so unfortunately I don't remember the names of all the sites we visited (and today some of them perhaps aren't obscure anyhow). At the famous sites in the Yucatan that we visited there were so many people everywhere that making a photograph, tripod or no tripod, without masses of people in it would have been impossible. If the cost isn't prohibitive I'd highly recommend using a guide in the Yucatan, apart from photography it's a more comfortable way to get around than a tourist bus or driving your own car.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Re: Mayan Ruins

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    When I visited the Yucatan I hired a local guide who took us to many relatively obscure sites over the course of a week or so.
    We did this as well on a trip a few years ago. We hired a Prof from the University in Mérida.
    It was pretty spendy, $2,500.00 MXN per day plus lunch & tip but worth every penny/peso.