Thread: Software for displaying LF images over the internet

Software for displaying LF images over the internet

We have developed a multiple resolution image server for delivering large images over the internet and allowing the user to zoom and manipulate the image.

A demo can be seen at: http://193.113.131.213/cgi-bin/viewer.cgi/Eden.mri?lf

This was taken with a 10 x 8 Arca with an ARCA 10 x 8 and a Schiender 165 mm on Provia F.

Scanned on an Epson at 1600 dpi to produce an image of over 500 MBytes

All comments would be welcomed

We are releasing Beta test software later this week.

I like the sofware. It's just a pity the demo image isn't sharp and the colour's so awful really.

Excellent software. So now we only need one lens!

As long as that lens doesn't have chromatic aberration over a third of its field!

I would be happy to host better quality images to show off the sofware to it's optimum.

If you wish to do so I will set up an ftp area for you.

It worked well, but I'd like an icon showing in which mode you are. What will be the price/distribution mode of the software ?

nic - nice software. it occurred to me that you might want to pursue marketing this type of software to the HABS/HAER organizations in regard to their ongoing efforts to digitize their collections for the library of congress for posting on the internet. currently, they post four versions of each LF image (scanned from the original negs) - a thumbnail view on the index, a low resolution jpg (60k), a larger size low resolution jpg (150K), and a high resolution jpg (~20mb). your software might be a very effective alternative to their current system. you can take a look at some of their database images by doing a search at http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/hhquery.html - if you want to pursue this, you might want to contact the HAER chief, eric delony at (202) 343-4237, and/or the HABS chief, paul dolinsky at (202) 343-4227.

MGI Software (http://www.mgisoft.com) bought out a company called Live Picture, Inc. some months ago. They (Live Picture) had developed a format (in conjunction with Kodak and Hewlett Packard - if memory serves) called FlashPix. It was part of the original work done on the program called LivePicture - multiresolution files that opened up to screen resolution. Handling 500MB files could be accomplished with only 24MB of physical RAM. Their Zoom technology does the same thing you're doing here, and for the same purposes (i.e., archiving, marketing images to print, etc.). Special servers output the images that can be zoomed in and out with the use of a plugin (maybe they've eliminated this by now).

It's very good, and they have a good start on the market. They also have (again, from Live Picture) several other technologies that produce some interesting visualizations.

I suggest you visit the MGISoft site - there's a lot there. Besides, why reinvent the wheel? And why run into copyright or other squabbles?

Ciao.

Alan