Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gitzo CF

Gitzo CF

I'm hunting for the right tripod to haul with an 8x10, looking at Gitzo CF, and noticing a rather complicated array of design options. I'd like to go with the new 6x stuff, but I'm not sure which one would be comparable to a 1325/1327. I also would like to know more about these "all weather feet" I've seen on B&H or whether one can get spikes for these tripods. I plan to get an Arca B2 ballhead. Does anyone think there may be a better one?

Re: Gitzo CF

Ries.

http://www.riestripod.com/

The only tripod I put my 8x10 a top.

Walter, I'm told that the Ries are indeed great beauties, but can get rather heavy to lug around with all the other gear. How much does yours weigh in at with the head?

Quote Originally Posted by ahorwitz View Post
    Walter, I'm told that the Ries are indeed great beauties, but can get rather heavy to lug around with all the other gear. How much does yours weigh in at with the head?
    Yes, they are nice looking tripods, but not very practical. Especially if you need to travel by air (I live in Hawaii, so I have to travel by air) or you need to walk long distances (I don't do all my photography next to the car).

17.75 lbs according to the Ries web site. I pack it in a Ries Tripod bag that is very well padded, and has an excellent shoulder strap. Never had a problem carrying it. Not that I'd backpack with it. I've shipped it on airlines with no problem.

If I have to walk long distances, I shoot with my 4x5, 'cause even with a lightweight carbon tripod (I own two different Gitzos), I'm not walkig miles with the 8x10, lenses and sheet film holders.

Well, that's a pretty big difference in weight from the G1258LVL Carbon 6X Mountaineer Leveling Tripod I was just looking at 3.5 lbs (sans head). I do agree that lugging the bigger camera will be tougher, and I'm not gonna be trekking many miles. I'm wond'ring if the weight capacity of this new unit, 17.6 lbs. is great enough for an 11 lb. camera, lens, ballhead?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    17.75 lbs according to the Ries web site. I pack it in a Ries Tripod bag that is very well padded, and has an excellent shoulder strap. Never had a problem carrying it. Not that I'd backpack with it. I've shipped it on airlines with no problem.
    that's more than my 8x10 camera, tripod and film holders combined...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Well fella's I guess I don't know my own strength. Grin.

I want a solid plateform under my camera.

My backpack containing a KB Canham 8x10 lightweight, weighs 8.4 lbs., with accessories, weighs 28.4 lbs.

I do own the Gitzo G1348 mk II with a Linhof ball head and quick release. Weighs 8 lbs. Would never put my 8x10 on it.

My bag with ten 8x10 film holders weights just over 19 lbs.

My bag with seven 8x10 lenses weighs 25 lbs.

Double grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Well fella's I guess I don't know my own strength. Grin.

I want a solid plateform under my camera.

My backpack containing a KB Canham 8x10 lightweight, weighs 8.4 lbs., with accessories, weighs 28.4 lbs.

I do own the Gitzo G1348 mk II with a Linhof ball head and quick release. Weighs 8 lbs. Would never put my 8x10 on it.

My bag with ten 8x10 film holders weights just over 19 lbs.

My bag with seven 8x10 lenses weighs 25 lbs.

Double grin.
    Hi Walter,

If you attach your camera bag via a cord or bungee cord to the hook at the bottom of your tripod the tripod should be stable and you should have enough mass to keep the camera and tripod in place and probably be as stable as your Ries tripod. The 1348 should be able to support at least the tripod weight estimate of 26 pounds if you do not use a center column.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Check out the 1548 mK II - definately beefier than the 1300 series tripods and only weighs 6 lbs (no center column included) best thing is it is compatible with the G1321 center which makes levelling a snap and whnich can also be easily modified to dangle a camera bag from on a windy day