Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SE plus: Multi-exposure in 48 Bit HDR?

SE plus: Multi-exposure in 48 Bit HDR?

I just purchased (upgraded) SE Plus yesterday (6.5.3), for my 4990 running Mac OSX 10.3x.

My hope is to use the Multi-Scan feature, but when I switch to 48 Bit HDR and click the light bulb (2 scans), Silverfast scans my neg twice, but does not convert it to a POSITIVE, meaning I've got an orange picture with great latitude...

I'm pretty familiar with SE, been using it for 2 years now, so I'm pretty sure everything is correct in the general settings, ie: transparency/neg. It also doesn't seem to matter what film I choose, the result is always the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks -j
    jbhogan

Re: SE plus: Multi-exposure in 48 Bit HDR?

Hello! I believe the HDR gives you a RAW image only, so a negative is scanned as a negative. Unfortunately with SE plus, that is the only way to get a 48 bit scan. I'm not sure, but for the 48 bit to 24 bit scanning choice, I believe that any processing (curve and histogram adjustments, etc.) occurs after conversion, not before, so a person doesn't get the benefit of 48 bit processing for those selections either. Best regards.

Mike

Does Ai allow you to get a 48 bit non-HDR image?

I get the same results as jhogan using the version of Silverfast SE that shipped with my refurbed 2004 model Epson 4870 for Mac OS 9.2.2.

So this confirms normal behavior at least in my case because I could never get a definate answer on this. And I don't have the multi-exposure feature.

Just a note, the negative I get opened in PS is already somewhat neutralized but still with a negative preview. IOW it's not orange colored but a bit purplish gray. All I have to do is invert and get a somewhat color correct but washed out image with the SF scanner profile embedded. Not sure if I should invert first or convert to a working space then invert.

If you notice when you swithch to HDR the Negafix window goes away (where you pick negative profiles) hence it is processing the image raw as a positive.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Hmmm, okay... Thanks for the answers so far.

It appears I CAN use the Multi-Exp in 48>24 mode, although I thought part of the attraction was to use the 48HDR.

For those shooting negs: How many of you do like Tim- invert the positive in PS? I've tried it, but it's tough to get the color balance right in a reasonable amount of time... Is there a shortcut I'm missing?

Thanks again -J
    jbhogan

Can I ask a silly question? When you say you get an orange image I presume you are scanning Color Negatives.

The real question is why do you want an HDR file for? It seems to me that you are complicating the whole process as all the raw data you need is stored in the original film for future scans with presumably better scanners down the road. And scanning HDR in 48/24 bit is self defeating.

The Silverfast NegaFix plugin (particularly with the AI 6 Studio version) is the most sophisticated tool for interpreting color negatives out there. It is far superior to anything you can do in PS. The way you are approaching this bypasses this superior tool for a much poorer tool and slower workflow in PS.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Thanks for the reply, Kirk...

Your question is not a silly in the least- I am scanning color Negs- and I wasn't clear on that in my initial post.

The tutorial I watched upon purchasing the upgrade recommended selecting the 48bit HDR for MultExp scanning.

I've since figured out that one can MultExp in the 48>24 Mode, with fairly satisfactory results. Mostly I use the flatbed for simple proofing, but I'd like to begin making some smaller pieces from these scans, so I'm trying to get the maximum quality my equipment, budget, and, err, skills will allow.

On that note, you mentioned in another post the annoying magenta cast in the blues on certain Negafix profiles; I'm scanning VC160 (shot at 100) and I get the same thing, especially in clear blue skies. I've been using the UC profile, which gives a major green cast, but it seems easier to deal with than the magenta.

I know that the AI versions allow for tweaking of the profiles, but for now my budget won't allow an upgrade, so I'm stuck with SE for the moment.

Any recommendations in this area?

Thanks again -J
    jbhogan

Unfortunately I am not very familiar with SE. Is there an Expert Dialogue in your NegaFix, (click on the professor guy)? In that dialogue there are curves in RGB channels that can be adjusted and saved as a tweaked film profile.

I'm scanning VC160 (shot at 100)
    I do this too for many reasons, but it explains why the scanner profiles are not bang on. There is a color shift with color negative films with increased exposure in our case 2/3 of a stop.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Kirk, re your question:
    Is there an Expert Dialogue in your NegaFix, (click on the professor guy)? In that dialogue there are curves in RGB channels that can be adjusted and saved as a tweaked film profile
    Unfortunately, SE Plus 6.5.x doesn't have the Expert button, just a general "help" selection that opens up .PDF directions on different topics. There is no way to modify profiles, one must choose between the stock offerings.

It does appear that it's possible to import custom profiles- has anyone tried this?

Thanks again- J
    jbhogan