Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: respirator?

respirator?

Hey,

The past few days I've been walking out of my darkroom a bit woozy and with a sore throat.

Either I have the avian flu or the chems are getting to me. I suspect its the 2nd esp because school ventilation SUX!!!!

I've made a request to have the vents checked, fixed and a louver installed. But this is a union school so I'm sure it won't attempted until until every electric outlet is checked with a screw driver, every loose floor tile glued back in place with Elmers, and every flickering lightbulb is replaced. . . . I've got a bit of waiting.

ANYWHO. A respirator seems like a good idea. Anyone have suggestions?

T

Re: respirator?

When I am doing toning I use a resperator made for pesticides. It is for fumes as opposed to dust which wouldn't do you a bit of good. You don't need the best, just a basic one will do. I use one made by AOSafety model R5700. Got it a Home Depot for under $30 bucks.

Hi False- what chemistry are you using?

Sounds like a combination of various moulds in the room; legionella in the antiquated ventilation ducts as well as halide intoxication.

You might try a sports filter mask like the Respro City masks. These use activated carbon and last around a month in the city. They are comfortable to work and exercise with, so darkroom work won't be a problem.

Sounds like you might need some time to recover from the side-effects.

If you don't like wearing the pesticide-type respirator, you might consider calling the local TV station to "film" you entering the school darkroom in scuba gear. That might get quicker action by the school - either to fix the problem, or to ban you from the facility.

Ralph,

That's a sure way to ensure False-Aesthetic's school darkroom gets closed down for health & safety grounds and converted to a digital desk workstation.

Quote Originally Posted by false_Aesthetic View Post
    A respirator seems like a good idea. Anyone have suggestions?
    You might consider a half-mask respirator. I suggest using both HEPA and activated charcoal cartridges to take out both airborn dust and mold spores and also organic fumes. You should be able to find such respirators at a local safety equipment vendor. Perhaps the school would be nice enough to supply you. Or perhaps you know someone in the Chemistry Dept who can help.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rabe View Post
    When I am doing toning I use a resperator made for pesticides. It is for fumes as opposed to dust which wouldn't do you a bit of good. You don't need the best, just a basic one will do. I use one made by AOSafety model R5700. Got it a Home Depot for under $30 bucks.
    How well does it work on hydrogen sulfide from sepia toning? I can't imagine anybody going outside to do it with -30 degree wind chill.

T,

I had the same problem four years ago with a local college darkroom. For me the best option was build a home darkroom with really good ventilation. If that is not an option for you I agree with earlier suggestions to use a facemask filter designed for the chemicals and other problems you are encountering. Three years ago I bought a rubber half mask with cartridge charcoal filters. Both are made by a company called Survivair. At the time B&H sold them. I don't see them using their search feature now. Perhaps they carry another brand, but I could not find it.

If your problem is allergy related it can easily expand to skin sensitivity. I say that not as an allergist, but one who has experienced it. Some darkroom chemicals can be very serious. There has been lots written here and at APUG.org. If you do have skin contact you might want to add Nitrile (purple) exam gloves to your protection. Walmart has them next to latex gloves which you don't want. Many pharmacies carry them as well. Hope this helps.

John

Quote Originally Posted by false_Aesthetic View Post
    Hey,

The past few days I've been walking out of my darkroom a bit woozy

T
    Drinking the chemicals again?

Seriously, it is amazing the difference in air quality can make. When I first built my former darkroom, I did not include any ventillation. I found that I was absolutely exhausted after a couple of hours of work. Later, I installed a ventillator and doubled the amount of time that I could work without having to take a break.

Another example - this past weekend I woke up with a terrible sore throat on both Saturday and Sunday. Initially I thought it was a cold coming on, but just for chuckles I went downstairs to the furnace to check the setting on the humidifier. I found that it was essentially turned off, and within an hour or so of turning it back on, I was feeling normal again.

I don't know that a respirator would be the solution for you. If your school darkroom doesn't have ventillation, I suggest raising the issue with the school administration as a matter of safety. Installing ventillation is not expensive, and would be much cheaper than a lawsuit or an OSHA fine. Perhaps even offer to do some of the installation work if the school agrees to buy the materials.

On the other hand, if you make it sound too bad, they might just shut down the darkroom to avoid the problem.