Thread: Help with Omega D/older Nikkor EL 150: what lensboard?

Help with Omega D/older Nikkor EL 150: what lensboard?

I hope one of you Omega experts can help me out here.

I use Beseler enlargers in my own darkroom, but am now working at times in a darkroom with all Omega D 4x5 enlargers. I have an older Nikkor EL 150mm enlarging lens with an odd, larger than normal thread size of 53mm. I have the mounting flange.

My problem is that I cannot seem to find a lensboard (or whatever Omega enlargers require) to accept this lens. I am a bit confused about the Omega lensboard system overall. What I am working with now is a small, oblong mounting plate with a 39mm threaded cylinder that attaches via 2 thumbscrews to a larger plate on the enlarger.

I would appreciate any advice about finding and acquiring the proper set up to mount this lens on the enlarger.

Thanks in advance,

Doremus Scudder

Re: Help with Omega D/older Nikkor EL 150: what lensboard?

You ned a lens cone. There is one specifically for 150mm lenses. I wouldn't guarantee that it would come with a 53mm hole, though. This is a cone about 4 inches long that lowers the lens so it will focus properly. It fits in place of the lens board you have now. Try classicenlargers. com. I'll wager they have what you need.

There are two "cones" (Omega called them "lens mounts") - a 2 3/4" for the 135mm lens and a 4 1/2" version for the 150mm lens. A "lens disc" (which screws onto the bottom of the cone) is also needed to fit the specific lens diameter.

Various dealers carry them, sometimes hidden in a parts drawer. Classic Enlargers lists them, but I haven't personally done business with them.

http://www.classic-enlargers.com/ome...rger_parts.htm

Thanks for the help. I'll check into the sources when I get back to my other darkroom.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

I have one that came with my Omega DII made from a Planters Peanut can. Perfect. They cut a piece of aluminum that matched the shape of the flat lensboard, and cut a hole to mount the lens in the bottom of the can, and glued it to the aluminum. Works fantastic.

Hi, the newer Omega enlargers for use with lenses with oblong plates do not use those large cones found on the older D2's. The oblong lens mount can attach to a turret, or a slide in lensboard.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

You need the 4 inch lens cone and a round lensboard with a 50mm (more or less) hole and a retaining ring to secure your lens. The lensboards can be had from Midwest Camera and Classic Omega Enlargers and show up on auction sites, but you can probably make one yourself.

Mike