Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The system works.... almost.

Re: The system works.... almost.

Ash I feel your pain, I really do, but it's certainly more than a little unfair to place any blame with the seller of the camera.

Having received numerous items from overseas I can tell you that having the package marked as a gift would have made no difference since gifts are only exempt from VAT upto the value of £34 once that threshold is passed the entire cost of the item is due for VAT and any applicable import duties.

Whilst I have no interest in rubbing salt into your wounds it would be best to take this a harsh learning experience and remember to check up on any taxes, duties or other fees applicable on further purchases.

Still I'm sure once you're out shooting the cost will be soon forgotten.

(Oh and I don't know about you but I find the £13.50 Parcel Force fee more painfull than any duty or tax!)

Richard, I don't blame the seller here at all. It's not his fault, but it's still a kick in the balls.

I'm also considering writing an invoice to parcelforce for the cost of their fee plus £15 clearance charge for "invoice printing" and handing it to the courier. I'd like to see how easy it is to charge someone for nothing. After all, they do it all the time!

"SHOULD have been sent as a gift, and marked as such to avoid any nasty surprises."

Seems a little odd to be blaming the seller for telling the truth on a customs form.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the Europeans pay taxes like the VAT and other add-on taxes/fees for their socially ran programs like medical, education, retirement, etc? Here in the states if you are a working slug, professional or not, you have to pay for all that stuff yourself. Either way you gonna pay.

One thing that does anger me is how most US states tax you for retirement funds. After we make our money, pay taxes on it and then invest it, you can get taxed again on your initial investment plus any income made from it. Florida's constitution does not allow for the double-taxation and that is one reason my hubby keeps us in Florida. The other alternative is Tennessee which is kinda cold, but beautiful. Anybody know of any other states that will not tax you on your retirement accounts?

Sorry for the hi-jack Ash, but Kirk got me thinking about our investments!
    New Hampshire.

But getting back on subject, taxes are a necessary evil. My feeling is that you'll be paying for it in either case, might as well be up front about it.

My own shipping story, not camera related. I wanted to get rid of some computer equipment. A guy in the UK wanted it, so we set a price, in dollars, only for lo and behold, he thought I ment "canadian" dollars. but, me being a nice guy, thinking "well, ok, that's a mistake, but I need to get rid of this" still went through with it, and shipped it off. Well, 4 months later, the guy is like "where is it?" 2 months later, it came back, for refusal to pay duty. He demanded I ship it again, which I did, this time marked as a "gift" as he requested. Months later, he claims it never showed up. I checked, and according to the records, it was delivered without an issue. He then went on that I should refund the money because he never got the parts (this wasn't through paypal thankfully). I refused, as frankly I sent it, twice at this point, and had pretty much broken even after the cost of S&H.

Quote Originally Posted by Downix View Post
    New Hampshire.
    Actually New Hampshire taxes interest and dividend income, but not income(no general sales tax either). But Darr, if you think Tennessee is too cold..... - You'll pay more for heat than you're being taxed and you also get what you pay for.

On topic now.. I've sold several items on ebay to people in Europe. I've mailed in various ways, but I've settled on Global Express Mail (EMS to the rest of the world). It is certainly more expensive, but insurance and tracking numbers seem to make the both sides of the deal more comfortable. Getting it through customs is still a problem of time and money, though.

This is precisely why as a US resident I don't like selling items internationally. You do everything to accomodate an international shipment -- and ever since 9-11 that ivolves a lot of additional paperwork -- and there always seems to be bad feelings after because of the costs incured...

I now clearly state I will ship only via FedEx insured as it is then very easy for the recipient to calculate pretty exact shipping AND import costs. Of course, FedEx international is expensive to begin with and this in turn ticks off more than a few folks as well, but at least it ticks them off BEFORE they agree to buy it, not after
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com